FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
1,601 views 3 comments
by anonymous
I'd like to ask, if it is possible to use RUT955 as RS485 two point (or multipoint) wireless bridge, meaning all data received on RS485 port of one RUT955 is retransmitted on RS485 port of second RUT955 and vice versa, while these two RUT955 are connected via cellular network over TCP/IP protocol. If it is by any means possible, I'd like to know what settings RUT955 has to have and if any RS485 protocol needs to be implemented on our devices to support mentioned functionality.

1 Answer

0 votes
by

Hello,

Unfortunately, but at the moment RUT955 doesn't have solution for this use case.

However, if this functionality is necessary, you can try to implement it yourself with our GPL kit. In Teltonika wiki page (https://wiki.teltonika.lt/view/GPL) you can download a version of RUT955 firmware and compile it yourself with added necessary modifications.

by anonymous
Thank you for answer.

In that case, I'd like to ask how exactly "Over IP mode" for RS485 works (explained in manual 8.5.3.2). More precisely, what would happen if one RUT955 was configured as a server (providing it would have static IP or host name or VPN is used) and second RUT955 as a client connected to this server.

My second question (independent of the first one) is what kind of data can be transmitted over RS485, if the RUT955 is successfully connected to remote TCP server in "Over IP mode". I mean does the RUT955 acts as a "socket", meaning all data I send via RS485 to RUT955 will be received on remote server TCP socket and vice versa or some specific protocol needs to be used to communicate with RUT955 via RS485 in this mode.
by anonymous

Hi shdwbld,

I would like to disagree with the answer. And I see that you already are on the right track.

"Over IP" mode makes transparent connection between two devices, meaning that no analysis or modifications are being performed on serial (RS485 in your case) data. Using one RUT955 as "Over IP" server and another as a client should do the trick.

Answering the second part of your questions: since the connection is transparent any protocol can be used on RS485 side. So yes, "all data I send via RS485 to RUT955 will be received on remote server TCP socket and vice versa".