FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
1,249 views 8 comments
by
We are looking at using RTU955 for our IOT application.

We would like to use the eMail to SMS feature, but don't really uinderstand how to set it up. The user guide is quite unclear (to us ...) about how to make that work on the router.

How does the router knwo which recipient should receive an SMS when receiving an email (is there a tag to use to give the router an indication about the SMS recipient n°?)?

What will the SMS content be ? (is it the mail body content ?)

would appreciate any insight with this regards

Thanks !!!

JL

1 Answer

+1 vote
by anonymous

Greetings, 

First of all let me explain you how does RUT955 Email to SMS feature works. 

Router connects through so called POP3 server of your E-mail account provider, e.g if you're using GMail it's pop.gmail.com . 

Next you will need a server port which most of the time is in the same page where You found POP3 server. So for Gmail it's 995

For the user name and Your password, You got to use your actual email and password of it. Also if you're using Gmail, you must use SSL connection, but again it depends on Your email provider, so be sure to look online for this kind of information if you're using anything that is not Gmail. 

After all that just choose by what time interval you want your router to check your emails. 

FYIRouter will not forward all of your emails, it will only forward the ones that are meant to be forwarded. Only emails with the recipient's phone number in the subject will be forwarded (to the number specified in the subject). 

And yes, SMS content will be your mail body content. 

I hope I helped you and please let me know if you got any further questions.

EB.

Best answer
by
How many number in subject and how sintax for more number
by anonymous
Unfortunately Email to SMS function only supports one recipient's number in the subject area.
by
Thanks again for the answer.

The event Log doesn't show any event related to sending an SMS.

Actually, I ve seen that only SMS with a number starting by +336xxxxxx get sent out, any number starting by 00336xxxx would not.

I changed the setup and tested it again, seems to work now .... not sure whether this is really the root cause, but will continue on testing and will let you know.

Thanks!

JL
by anonymous

Hi again.

I want to make sure of couple things before we dig deeper into your problem.

• When you're sending an email, does subject area contain anything more besides mobile number you're trying to send sms to?
  • Do you get anything like SMS were sent to 00336xxxxxxx in your RUT955 Events log?
  • Have you configured everything by instructions as it follows at Gmail Pop3/Imap page so you could connect your router to your email account? Most important part is to enable POP in your gmail settings.
by

Good morning.

I am making progresses, but still can't get the feature to work properly:

My Building controller sends an email when an alarm is triggered or cleared.

It is sending an alarm to a gmail account

Subject for that email is: +336xxxxx32 which is the number to which the email is supposed to be forwarded

Note: RUT would not send SMS for numbers starting by 00336xxxxxx don't know why.

RUT is fetching emails every minute or so

email are sent, say, 2 minutes apart: 1st alarm message is followed by a ''alarm cleared'' message after 2 minutes

Only the first email get sent out. The follwoing one doesn"t go through

I noticed that on the gmail account, the mail do not get the ''read status'', they remain ''unseen'' (when the wiki stipulates that message would get cleared ...)

I created a Node Red flow which is also fetching emails from that same account and found out that subject is OK, it only contains the phone number (+336xxxx) that is supposed to get the SMS (the flow doesn't change anything on the mail)

This message would not get transfered as a SMS:

+336xxxxxxx2 : msg : Object
object
payload: string
  De:  Audit_Case
  Pt:  Test alarme in Trane Audit Case V4 02 03 2020
  Alm:  On
  Desc:  Returned To Normal
  A:  04 May 2020 08:56:57 CEST

topic: "+336xxxxxxxx2"
  date: "2020-05-04T06:57:25.000Z"

header: object
  return-path: object
    value: array[1]
    html: "<span class="mp_address_group"><a href="mailto:jlmxyztu88@gmail.com" class="mp_address_email">jlmxyztu88@gmail.com</a></span>"
    text: "jlmxyztu88@gmail.com"

received: "from smtp.gmail.com (pop.92-184-124-30.mobile.abo.orange.fr. [92.184.124.30]) by smtp.gmail.com with ESMTPSA id j22sm17749557wre.84.2020.05.03.23.57.25 for <jlmxyztu88@gmail.com> (version=TLS1_2 cipher=ECDHE-ECDSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256 bits=128/128); Sun, 03 May 2020 23:57:25 -0700 (PDT)"
  message-id: "<5eafbcd5.1c69fb81.dda7f.0704@mx.google.com>"
  date: "2020-05-04T06:57:25.000Z"
  x-google-original-date: "Date: Mon, May 04 2020 08:57:08 CEST"

0: object
      address: "jlmxyztu88@gmail.com"
      name: ""
    html: "<span class="mp_address_group"><a href="mailto:jlmxyztu88@gmail.com" class="mp_address_email">jlmxyztu88@gmail.com</a></span>"

to: object

subject: "+336xxxxxxxx2"

content-type: object
    value: "text/plain"
    params: object
      charset: "UTF-8"
  attachments: array[0]
  _msgid: "3180f8de.2612a8"

when this one gets sent as a SMS:

+336xxxxxxxx2 : msg : Object
object
payload: string
  De:  Audit_Case
  Pt:  Test alarme in Trane Audit Case V4 02 03 2020
  Alm:  Off
  Desc:  In Alarm
  A:  04 May 2020 08:58:56 CEST

topic: "+336xxxxxxxx2"
  date: "2020-05-04T06:59:24.000Z"

header: object
  return-path: object

received: "from smtp.gmail.com (pop.92-184-124-30.mobile.abo.orange.fr. [92.184.124.30]) by smtp.gmail.com with ESMTPSA id s8sm16818958wru.38.2020.05.03.23.59.24 for <jlmxyztu88@gmail.com> (version=TLS1_2 cipher=ECDHE-ECDSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256 bits=128/128); Sun, 03 May 2020 23:59:24 -0700 (PDT)"

message-id: "<5eafbd4c.1c69fb81.80dc.dd50@mx.google.com>"
  date: "2020-05-04T06:59:24.000Z"
  x-google-original-date: "Date: Mon, May 04 2020 08:59:07 CEST"

to: object

subject: "+336xxxxxxxx2"

content-type: object
    value: "text/plain"
    params: object
      charset: "UTF-8"

attachments: array[0]
   _msgid: "fcf38355.4e49b"

I can't figure out w<hat is wrong with the setup. The mail topic seems consistent from one message to the next

Thanks for your support

JL

by anonymous
Hi,

Happy that you're making progress and its unfortunate that you stumbled upon some following problems.

To help you further, could you please tell me which software firmware you're using on your RUT955 device?

EB.
by

Hey!

Router FW version is: FW ver.: RUT9XX_R_00.06.06.1

Updated it last week 

Thanks for your support.

JL

by
Good morning,

did you get any time looking at my request and see what could cause the behavior I am observing please ?

thanks fo ryour feedback

JL