FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
1,735 views 3 comments
by anonymous

Hi All,

I have a very minimalistic client device connected to wifi LAN on a RUT955. The device has no concept of
%defaultroute. or any capability for static routing - its a <<really>>  c**p design! - but its one of a kind. 

It was designed to sit in a flat subnet and remote access was never envisioned. Now we need to access it 
via OpenVPN.

"on paper" this should be very easy  - Port forwards with Source NAT:

From any IP in openVPN (192.168.VPN.x) where destination port is 50000 and protocol is UDP 
Set Source IP to {IP of Wifi LAN interface}
forward to LAN IP 192.168.LAN.y

that way the device always sees packets from the LAN default gateway IP and can reply to them, the
RUT955 then sorts out the NATing . Shouldnt be too hard .

Maybe I'm getting old ? or the virus lockdown is softening my brain? :-) but I cannot get this to work 

So two questions:

1) Should this be possible from the GUI please ? or do I have to talk directly to iptables as a custom rule?
2) Could someone provide a worked example screenshot please ?

Many thanks

Regards 

BB 

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

Source NAT and Port Forwarding rules should suffice. Maybe you could share them (Both SNAT and Port Forwards) so I can take a look?

Also simple topology drawing would be great.

In WebUI you can find:

SNAT in Network > Firewall > Traffic Rules > Source NAT

Port Forward in Network > Firewall > Port Forward

Tinkering with IPTABLES should not be necessary for this

Regards

by anonymous
Hi Peasant

Many thanks - Im working away at present on a customer site - bear with me a day or two
by anonymous

Ok - here is the topology - IP address ranges changed to protect the innocent :-)

I look at the drawing and see it should be so simple - but I cannot make it work !

Regards 

BB

by anonymous
Hello,

Did you test the same topology but without using VPN?

Could you try reacreating it with SNAT and DNAT rules with WAN connection istead of VPN?