FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
1,647 views 8 comments
by
Hello

RUT905 with firmware RUT9xx_R_00.06.05.3

We use IoT prepaid SIM with own access by the provider. So we can active / deactivate the SIM on provider page access. Sometimes the prepaid value is consumed an we reload it. During manually deactivation or during the empty SIM the RUT gets a mobile connection denied.

After the connection is lost i see on LED status of one of the devices that the the RUT950 tries to connect for a certain time period to re-connect, but then gives up.

When the SIM is activated on the provider page or the volume is re-loaded then the SIM is ready for new connection. But the RUT950 does not recognize that the SIM is ready for a new connection attempt. The only way to restart the connection is to manually reboot the RUT950. But is is not possible on customer site without a pearson on site helping me.

Is there any setting that RUT950 cyclically tries for a new mobile connection ?

BR
Roland

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

The RUT950 modem does not detects SIM card automatically, when it was disconnected. It is necessary to restart modem or reboot router. I recommend you to use Auto Reboot -> PING Reboot service: https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/RUT950_Auto_Reboot#Ping_Reboot

1. Enable Ping Reboot
  2. Action – Modem Restart or Reboot
  3. You can leave all other settings default.

The Ping Reboot function periodically sends Ping commands to a specified IP address and wait for received responses. If no response is received, the device will send Ping commands a defined number of times at a defined frequency. If no response is received after the defined number of unsuccessful retries, the device will commit the Modem Restart or Reboot.

Regards.

by

Hello

Thank you for your answer. I have used this feature AutoReboot but with the option (re)register. It works well, aprox. 15-20min. after the reactivation of the SIM on provider page the RUT950 is back.

I have tried several times, always successfull. But in some cases the LED indicator of mobile connection shows wrong status, e.g. LTE connection with 4 bars and -61dBm, but only the main LED is on showing LTE. There are no small LED showing the 4 bars signal strength.

BR

Roland

by anonymous

Hello,

Please upgrade RUT9XX to latest firmware. You can download it from Teltonika wiki page:

https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/RUT955_Firmware_Downloads

When issue reapears, download “Troubleshoot file” from RUT device (menu System -> Administration -> Troubleshoot) and send it to me via private message.

I will see all the information about your product in the troubleshoot file, this will help me find the issue.

Regards.

by anonymous
Hi, could I ask a tangent question: I have found that the when a SIM card is removed and placed back in, the modem does not detect the SIM being back in and does not recover network connection. Is this a similar situation that needs a reboot, and a Ping Reboot will solve?

Thanks
by anonymous

Hello,

RUT95X devices do not support automatic SIM card detection. After inserting the SIM card into a working device. So, you need to:

·         Restart modem on Web UI page Status > Network > Mobile

·         Activate PING Reboot service, with Restart Modem action.

·         Reboot it.

Kind regards.

by anonymous

Further testing with dual SIM auto switching below. Does this mean it automatically detected SIM 1 when it was re-inserted?

1. Settings

1. SIM Switching: On

1. Default SIM: SIM 1

2. SIM 1 > SIM 2: 3 failed pings 30s apart to 8.8.8.8

3. SIM 2 > Sim1: Attempt to switch back every 15mins.

2. Ping Reboot: Off

2. Steps

1. Removed SIM Card 1 from its slot while the modem was operational to simulate a failure.

2. After a few minutes SIM Not Inserted state observed in modem. Data connection lost.

3. Re-inserted SIM card.

4. Modem switched SIM automatically to SIM 2. Data connection restored.

5. After 15mins operating on SIM 2, the modem automatically switched back to SIM 1 and it worked. Data connection was functional on SIM1. No rebooting needed.

by anonymous

We are glad to see the active users of the forum. The option you provide is appropriate, you are free to use it if it meets your needs.

However, if you set the PING Reboot service as shown in the example, only the modem will be restarted and the mobile connection will be restored faster, after 5-10min. It depends from interval and retry count you have set.

by anonymous
Could you please clarify what you said about RUT95x not being able to automatically detect SIMs? Is the device able to auto detect if it is setup with two SIMs as per the testing above?

Also, what is the difference between a modem restart and a reboot? Could there be situations where the comms is not restored on a restart, but can on a reboot? Thank you
by anonymous

Q1: Could you please clarify what you said about RUT95x not being able to automatically detect SIMs? Is the device able to auto detect if it is setup with two SIMs as per the testing above?

A1: For example, RUTX series devices can automatically recognize a SIM card in a few seconds. When the SIM card is inserted, the modem restarts and the card registers, thanks to the default watchdog services installed.

The RUT95X cannot automatically detect SIM cards if the factory default settings are used. We need to activate additional services (such as SIM SWITCH, PING REBOOT) and wait for some time for them to activate the SIM card after inserting it. If two SIM cards are used on the RUT95X, it is better to use SIM switch service, for mobile failover. Or we can modify PING Reboot rule, by changing Interface > Automatically selected to Interface > Ping from mobile.

Q2: What is the difference between a modem restart and a reboot? Could there be situations where the comms is not restored on a restart, but can on a reboot?

A2: Only the module is rebooted during the modem restart process. And during a full reboot, the entire device reloads, which takes a little longer.