FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
+5 votes
6,593 views 30 comments
by
Hello,

I have a problem with losing the wifi clients connection with RUT240.

The router is configured in accordance with https://wiki.teltonika.lt/view/Wireless. Encryption is WPA2-PSK. If the device connected via wifi is close to the router - say up to 2 meters - the communication works properly. The pings between rut240 and the device, eg a smartphone, work perfectly. If the device moves away from the router (next room), despite the receivers showi a good wifi signal (signal level measured in smartphone or laptop), it seems that the router terminates in the few seconds the connection with the previously connected device. In that case signal status of my connected wifi device in Status->Network->Wireless->Associated Stations is getting weaker and weaker. A connected device still shows a good router's signal level, but no active connection to the router.

This problem does not occur with the RUT950 standing in the same room - for comparison - even with very poor wifi signal the connection is still alive, many meters from the router. Both routers have wifi configured in the same way, both are broadcasting almost the same signal strength, both have the latest firmware loaded (RUT9XX_R_00.05.02.6 and RUT2XX_R_00.01.04.1). I tried some others antennas - with no effect.

Can it be a hardware problem of the rut240 wifi module or rather a problem with the firmware?

Or maybe I can change some settings of my router to improve wifi connection stability?
Why rut240 terminate the connection too fast?

Thank you in advance for any help

Tom
by anonymous
Hey Tom,

I will check it for you shortly. l assume antennas were fitted to the correct outputs and adequate TX power was set on the wireless radio?

Thanks,

Myky
by
Hello Myky,

Antennas were fitted correctly, transmit power is set to 100%.

I've already downloaded the older firmware RUT2XX_R_00.01.02.3, did factory reset - but problem still exist.

Moreover when I scan wifi stations in section Wireless Station Mode (Add) I see nothing with rut240 but plenty of wifi stations when doing the same with rut950.

Tom
by anonymous
Hello Tom,

I am out of ideas unless you can give a factory reset as a last chance (l don't like to advise this as the next step, but it there is always a chance that it may help)

Thanks,

Myky
by
Hi everyone,

I have the same problem, wifi signal is extremely weak. I'm out in nature with no life nearby, and have a maximum of -70dBm being only 3 meters away from the router with direct sight. Settings are ok (tried 40 MHz, reboot, etc). LTE signal is nice. Soldering and mounting of antenna are ok.

I have a tiny antenna-less Huawei pocket modem which gives -70dBm in a ~20 meter distance. Tried everything, but the wifi signal is way too weak and I need to sit right in front of the RUT240.

Is there anything to do, or should it just go back to warranty?

Serial: 1106462820, Batch: 075

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks!
by anonymous

same problem, too weak wifi signal, serial 1000888676, firmware RUT2XX_R_00.01.12.3

by anonymous
Just bought this product and I am having the same issue. I have this product at a house in the woods, no other wifi signals present. Line of sight indoors I start having signal issues at 4 meters away. Signal at 100%, tried different channels.

Since this issue is over 2 years old I guess it has not been resolved. I will be returning this product. I had high hopes and the interface looks nice but €150 euro for a 4g router with non-working wifi is just bad...

6 Answers

0 votes
by anonymous
Hey Tom,

Do you have access to any MacBook (any model)? I would like you to take a monitor mode PCAP while you few meters away from the router. This will help us to understand on what is going on with the wireless traffic sent by router (we will look for management, controls, data frames and their rates).

Thanks,

Myky
by
Hello,

I have no access to any MacBook unfortunately.

Presently my smartphone is lying on the same desk as router. Section "associated station" in wireless status show signal level for my smartphone -81dBm ;-(
3 meters far from router -92dBm...

Smartphone shows wifi signal about -50dBm

Can someone check wifi signal levels in other rut240?

What could I try to do - return the router to the seller because of the hardware problem?

Tom
+1 vote
by
Hello,

I did a reset before. Still the same. I am almost sure it is a hardware problem I will not be able to fix myself. What do you think?

Any ideas ?

Thank you for your help.

Tom
by anonymous
Hi,

Could you check if the antenna connector is soldered correctly ? You would need to unscrew 2 bolts and look at the PCB where WiFi antenna is connecting.
by
Hello,

Antenna connector seems to be ok.

Tom
by anonymous
Is there a lot of other WiFi sources nearby ?

You could also try to enable 40 MHz bandwidth.

1. Go to Network --> Wireless --> General setup and choose Channel manually, channel 5 for example. Save.

2. Go to Network --> Wireless --> Advanced settings and in HT mode select 40 MHz 2nd channel below or above. Save.
by
Hello,

Thank you for reply. I've already tried 20MHz and 40Mhz, differents channels, etc.

It looks like receiving circuit in wifi module is not sensitive enough?

Tom
by anonymous
Do you got any other RUT240 to check if it acts the same ?
by
Hello,

I have rut950 - it is working fine.

I think I should email to the seller and ask for exchanging the router now.

Tom
by anonymous
Well RUT950 has two antennas for WiFi instead on one, but it would be interesting to see if another RUT2XX performs the same.
0 votes
by

I am reviving this thread as I am experiencing EXACTLY the same problem with my newly purchased RUT240. 

Even standing in front of the unit makes the WiFi clients either ping timeout or drop completely from its WiFi.

I have tried EVERYTHING and nothing seems to fix it.

Any ideas?

by anonymous
Hello,

Do you got more than one device that could be checked at the same spot ? If not I would suggest to contact the reseller for another unit and then Teltonika should receive this unit for analysis.
by
No, I just got this one unit.

Is there a history of problematic units? (regarding the WiFi)
by anonymous
Could you tell me the serial number of your unit ? I would check if there were any reported WiFi issues with this batch. Anyway,Teltonika would be interested to analyze this particular unit.
by
Yes, I will let you know of the serial number in the next 3-7 days. The device has been installed in a boat which is 50km away. I plan to visit in the next days
by anonymous

If possible, ask your reseller for another unit before you go to the site. You will be able to check if other unit perform differently that way and won't need to go back one more time if it's really a HW issue. 

Also at the site:

1. Make sure that both antennas are attached correctly. 

2. Reset the device if possible and check if with the standard settings you get the same performance. 

by

I have a similar issue.  I have a new RUT240.   I have very poor WIFI signal levels.   I have to put the unit within 3 feet (1 meter) to avoid flaky connections.  I have multiple devices and other routers.  The devices don't have issues with the other router and they all exhibit low signal quality with the RUT240. Multiple devices show -86 dbm from 5 feet.  Screenshot attached.https://community.teltonika-networks.com/?qa=blob&qa_blobid=14424944845258903506.

Serial number 1104533812.

RUT24001U000 Batch no 059.

Update December 2019: I replaced unit and the problem went away.  The WIFI reception in the first unit was very poor (worked within 3 feet max unobstructed).  In the new unit it is fine - not great but fine (works 20+ feet with a few walls/ floors)

by
Unfortunately the seller (Ebay) has simply vanished. I informed him about the problem and the possibility of a replacement unit and he has totally ignored me. I will most probably contact Teltonika directly if after the boat visit and doing some more testing and providing the serial number nothing changes for the better.

What the anonymous user has posted right above is EXACTLY what I have experienced so far. I highly suspect that some RUT240 units are faulty...
by anonymous
Could you PM me the reseller company name?
by anonymous
Same problem for my RUT240.
+1 vote
by
Hey all,

Has anyone figured out a solution to this issue or is it a HW problem?

My brand new RUT240 seems to have the exact same issue. The connection works fine within a meter or two of the device, but if I walk away, packets start dropping. This is pretty easy to try out by pinging the router and walking around with my laptop.

Even from further away, the laptop may show full bars but it fails to connect to the wifi. I mean, it fails to associate altogether.

I've tried different channels and 40MHz width but no luck. The router is intended to be used at our cottage in the countryside but so far I've only been trying it out at home, in an apartment building in the city. I have a single-AP Ubiquiti setup at home that works perfectly, and there shouldn't be any overwhelming interference in the environment.
by
I hade the same problem. If I connect whit lan it works but not on wifi. Bad product
by
Same problem on my RUT240. Wifi ist so weak, that can't be used reasonably. Don't buy! Batch 011 HW Rev 0005.

At 3m distance with supplied antenna only -90dbm signal. Other Wifi units with "normal" coverage have -35 - to -40dBm at same distance and antenna! Hardware ist really faulty. It's an older unit, but I didn't use wifi on this unit wifi now. I'm very disappointed!
by
Hi everyone,

I have the same problem, wifi signal is extremely weak. I'm out in nature with no life nearby, and have a maximum of -70dBm only 3 meters away from the router with direct sight. Settings are ok (tried 40 MHz, reboot, different laptops, etc, the usual). Soldering and mounting of antenna are ok.
Tried everything, but the wifi signal is way too weak and I need to sit right in front of the RUT240 to be able to use it.
Is there anything to do, or should it just go back to warranty?

Serial: 1106462820, Batch: 075

Any thoughts would be helpful.
Thanks!
by
I have the same issue. The signal is especially weak when using the iPhone.

Is there a solution, or is this a defective unit?
by
Wifi signal is beeing dropped when I use MacBook Air, other Macs and repeaters have no issues, RUT240.

Signal i stable for 40minutes and then suddenly strats beeing dropped and reconnect and drop and reconnect. Does this for like 10-20 times and then becomes stable again.
0 votes
by
Is this a known problem with the RUT240 ? Same problem here, no decent wifi signal at all. Batch 075
by

Hi ... same Problem on my site...

ALL Clients needs to reconnect every few seconds...

65535 2021-01-30 22:46:05 WiFi WiFi client connected: EC:FA:BC:C1:D1:48 SBEnvironmentalCabin
65531 2021-01-30 22:45:50 WiFi WiFi client disconnected: EC:FA:BC:C1:D1:48 SBEnvironmentalCabin
65519 2021-01-30 22:34:54 WiFi WiFi client disconnected: EC:FA:BC:C1:D1:48 SBEnvironmentalCabin
65512 2021-01-30 22:32:43 WiFi WiFi client connected: EC:FA:BC:C1:D1:48 SBEnvironmentalCabin
65510 2021-01-30 22:32:37 WiFi WiFi client disconnected: EC:FA:BC:C1:D1:48 SBEnvironmentalCabin
65502 2021-01-30 22:16:15 WiFi WiFi client connected: EC:FA:BC:C1:D1:48 SBEnvironmentalCabin
65494 2021-01-30 22:15:57 WiFi WiFi client disconnected: EC:FA:BC:C1:D1:48 SBEnvironmentalCabin
65395 2021-01-30 17:27:01 WiFi WiFi client connected: EC:FA:BC:C1:D1:48 SBEnvironmentalCabin
65391 2021-01-30 17:26:13 WiFi WiFi client disconnected: EC:FA:BC:C1:D1:48 SBEnvironmentalCabin
65371 2021-01-30 16:45:57 WiFi WiFi client connected: EC:FA:BC:C1:D1:48 SBEnvironmentalCabin

any idea?

0 votes
by anonymous
I got the exact same problem.

Connect the RUT240 with another WIFI in client mode and the MacBook connected with the RUT240 WIFI gets nearly NO download.

But when connected directly with the WIFI, I get 120(!)Mbit with my smartphone (NOT MacBook!).

This is ridiculous!

Is there any help from Teltonika to fix this issue?
by anonymous

Hello,

I would like you to send me a troubleshoot file in a private message. Please, replicate the issue, then access router's WebUI, go to System -> Administration > Troubleshoot section and download troubleshoot file from there.

Files are private and visible only to Teltonika Moderators.

Best regards,