FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
647 views 4 comments
by anonymous
RUTX11: No longer able to access via WiFi or RMS but SMS says connected properly

FIRMWARE VERSION RUTX_R_00.02.01.1

HARDWARE REVISION 0505

BATCH NUMBER 0013

FW VERSION EG06ELAR03A05M4G

The only change I recall making in the past 12 hours is going to LAN and adding Static IP Leases for all 3 iOS devices using their MAC address under admin/network/lan/lan, where I assigned IP to each of the 3 MAC (copied from the Wireless Connections page)

So this may be related as hours later noticed devices no longer connected to WiFi, in iOS settings the SSID would show up, but would be stuck with a spinner. Toggling WiFi on/off devices, including renewing registration did not help.

The modem lights looked normal and all good.

Sending a status SMS to the Modem would report the usual connected LTE and same RSRP/SINR/RSRQ/CID/Band as always.

RMS was however offline. This was the worst part.

I have only have WiFi devices, and no Ethernet device to connect to modem, so could not connect to see any issue or make changes, or get Troubleshoot.

I could SMS 'status' and get a good reply.

I tried reseting (both power cord and reset button) the modem a couple times, same issue after boot, although all lights were OK.

I had to factory reset, and then apply a backup configuration from RMS to get the system back online.

This was a very frustrating experience. Why would the static lease break the device in such a way that even RMS would not work although modem internet was working?

I also noticed that the backup configuration does not include any shell scripts in the /root folder, nor any previously installed opkg packages.

So my backup lost some scripts I wrote there.
by anonymous

Ok I found the bug after trial and error.... Noticed that once it's broken, DNS fails to resolve any hosts, which may explain why RMS died eventually.

I even made sure to adjust the DHCP Server Start/Limit to be 200 to 250 to avoid overlap with Static IP, that did not fix it.

The problem is having a space in the static lease name! Without a space it works fine.

Steps to reproduce

1. admin/network/lan/lan/ to edit LAN configuraton
  2. Under "Add Lease" Name field type "iPhone Test" then click Add button
  3. Fill valid MAC and hostname (e.g. 192.168.1.101)
  4. Save & Apply

ping google.com now immediately fails with ping: bad address 'google.com'

Sat May  2 12:22:50 2020 kern.notice kernel: dhcp configuration has been changed

Sat May  2 12:22:51 2020 daemon.info dnsmasq[5820]: exiting on receipt of SIGTERM

Sat May  2 12:22:51 2020 daemon.crit dnsmasq[14646]: bad DHCP host name at line 21 of /var/etc/dnsmasq.conf.cfg01411c

Sat May  2 12:22:51 2020 daemon.crit dnsmasq[14646]: FAILED to start up

Sat May  2 12:22:53 2020 daemon.crit dnsmasq[14711]: bad DHCP host name at line 21 of /var/etc/dnsmasq.conf.cfg01411c

Sat May  2 12:22:53 2020 daemon.crit dnsmasq[14711]: FAILED to start up

Now that it's broken, hit remove on the static lease then save & apply and confirm it's working again.

root@RUTX:/etc# uci show dhcp

dhcp.@dnsmasq[0]=dnsmasq

dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].domainneeded='1'

dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].boguspriv='1'

dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].filterwin2k='0'

dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].localise_queries='1'

dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].rebind_localhost='1'

dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].local='/lan/'

dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].domain='lan'

dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].expandhosts='1'

dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].nonegcache='0'

dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].authoritative='1'

dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].readethers='1'

dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].leasefile='/tmp/dhcp.leases'

dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].resolvfile='/tmp/resolv.conf.auto'

dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].nonwildcard='1'

dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].dhcpscript='/usr/sbin/dhcpinfo.sh'

dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].rebind_protection='0'

dhcp.lan=dhcp

dhcp.lan.interface='lan'

dhcp.lan.letter='h'

dhcp.lan.start='200'

dhcp.lan.limit='250'

dhcp.lan.time='24'

dhcp.lan.leasetime='24h'

dhcp.wan=dhcp

dhcp.wan.interface='wan'

dhcp.wan.ignore='1'

dhcp.@host[0]=host

dhcp.@host[0].name='GoodName'

dhcp.@host[0].mac='EC:2C:E2:E2:E2:E2'

dhcp.@host[0].ip='192.168.1.101'

dhcp.@host[1]=host

dhcp.@host[1].name='Bad Name'

dhcp.@host[1].mac='EC:2C:E3:E3:E3:E3'

dhcp.@host[1].ip='192.168.1.102'

root@RUTX:~# ping google.com

ping: bad address 'google.com'

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous
Hello,

Sorry for Late response.

This issue was relayed to RND for analysis, since I managed to replicate the problem with another RUTX device, but if you can could you also send me yours troubleshoot file via PM after replicating the problem, if you managed to connect to router.

Best regards,
VidasKac.
by anonymous
Hello,

Yours conclusion was on point, "space" in static lease name was responsible for connection problems, thank you very much for information.

This issue is addressed in new Firmware that is going out in few days.

Best regards,
VidasKac.
by anonymous
Is this included in the recent RUTX_R_00.02.03.1?
by anonymous

Yes it was addressed in RUTX_R_00.02.03.1 firmware that was released yesterday. 

Best regards,
VidasKac.