I've been running my RUTX09 in bridge mode hooked up to my UniFi USG for a couple of weeks straight, and everything has been working like a charm. These are the firmware versions my RUTX09 has been running these past weeks:
Modem firmware: ? (internet tells me it could have been EG06ELAR03A05M4G, but that's too late to verify)
Today I noticed that I could update (1) my router's firmware, and (2) the firmware of the built-in modem. I decided to apply both updates, followed by a factory reset of the router to (3) make sure I didn't have any conflicting settings and to (4) make sure that my step-by-step guide to have the RUTX09 run in bridge mode together with my UniFi equipment still worked. Post upgrade, my RUTX09 is now running these firmware versions:
Modem firmware: EG06ELAR04A03M4G
Post the factory reset with these new versions installed, I completed the steps in the wizard - accepting all default settings / not changing a single thing. Once completed, I executed these four steps that got me to a working setup the last time (inspired by this post):
- Enabled the advanced (web) UI settings (in System > Administration)
- Re-ordered my network interfaces so that interface MOB1S1A1 was first in the list (in Network > Interfaces, or Network > WAN if you haven't enabled the advanced UI)
- Verified that failover was disabled for all interface (in Network > Interfaces, or Network > WAN if you haven't enabled the advanced UI)
- Switched the active mode for interface MOB1S1A1, from NAT to Bridge. In this view, I also made sure to correctly enter the MAC address of the USG router downstream
(note: the USG was connected to LAN1 on the RUTX09)
Then I waited for the router to apply the last configuration change. When it was done, I noticed that the previously solid 4G status light was now blinking (at ~1Hz), which seems to indicate that it's connected to 4G, but that no data session is established. In this mode, the USG doesn't seem to get the WAN IP that it got with the old firmware versions, nor is it able to perform any network (WAN) operations.
To debug the issue, I tried to restart the router - which didn't help. I then reset the router and followed the very above steps again, but instead of entering the MAC address of the USG I entered the MAC address of my MBP (which was connected to LAN1) to see if that would work better. It didn't - the same blinking 4G light was all I got.
If someone could advise what I could try next, I'd be very happy - I'd love to be able to put my router back in bridge mode.