FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
3,141 views 0 comments
by anonymous
RUTX11 RUTX_R_00.02.03.1

I am trying to use AdGuard DNS for RUTX11 itself as well LAN/WAN clients but it's a little confusing.

https://adguard.com/en/adguard-dns/overview.html

I think I prefer the DHCP and static IP clients to get the same 192.168.1.254 router IP, and have the router deal with DNS.

1) Network > Interfaces > LAN > DNS servers, this is where I added the AdGuard DNS, however I think only DHCP clients see this, but router itself is still using MOB1S1A1 DNS

How do I think so? By looking at the Status > Realtime Graphs > Connections, I see DNS port 53 requests from clients going to RUTX.lan:53, but I also see the RUTX having an outgoing mix of the ISP DNS and the AdGuard DNS. So I think the router itself is still using the Mobile ISP DNS.

2) Network > Interfaces > MOB1S1A1 > Advanced Settings > Use DNS servers advertised by peer. This is currently enabled, but when I disabled it and filled in "Use custom DNS servers" with AdGuard I started seeing connectivity issues, RMS would drop out, SSH might no longer connect, I had to roll back to get it all working again.

3) Network > DNS > DNS Configuration has DNS forwardings but cannot specify just ip, it seems to expect some /example.org/10.1.2.3 format, so cannot add the two AdGuard DNS IPs here.

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

I'll try to answer your questions in order.

1) You had correct conclusion Network > LAN > DNS only advertise these DNS servers to it's own DHCP clients, as in communication of your PC that is connected to router will be sent through AdGuard DNS, but communication of router will go through Mobile Service Provider  (MSP) advertised DNS servers. This is done in case you need full access to everything for a router to fulfill it's functions, but you want to limit access to clients connected to router, be it yours employees or kids, or someone else.

2) In Network > Interfaces > Mob1s1a1 > Advanced settings if you would unmark Use DNS servers advertised by peer  and enter custom DNS servers all communication going through this interface will use those DNS servers (except if you set different DNS servers in LAN settings for DHCP clients, their communication again will be forwarded through those servers). 

As for connectivity problems AdGuard DNS depending on which servers you are using blocks certain IPs and websites from access, so it is natural that it might block some of yours connections. You can try their "Non-filtering" servers: 176.103.130.136 and 176.103.130.137 and see if it makes a difference, but other than that, if DNS servers that you chose to use are blocking yours connections, there is nothing else we can do from a router side, except not to use them.

3) Network > DNS configuration is for occasions, when you want to use router itself as DNS server. If that is not yours goal, do not change its configuration.

Hope This helps to understand how to configure DNS servers on RUTX routers.

Best regards,
VidasKac.