FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
1,232 views 3 comments
by
RUTX11 Firmware 2.03.1.  The RUTX11 has an OpenVPN connection to a server. I've configured failover so that if the WAN (wired) primary connection is removed, the RUTX11 switches to the SIM1 connection (secondary), and have noticed a couple of issues:

If the router has an active SIM connection before failover is configured, then it doesn't switch to the WAN after failover is configured, unless you disable the SIM connection. After the X11 changes to WAN, you can re-enable the SIM1, and the X11 stays on the WAN (as it should).

If you then remove the WAN connection, the X11 correctly switches to the SIM1 connection (as it should). However, if you then reconnect the WAN connection, the X11 DOES NOT switch back to the primary WAN connection, (the data count on the SIM1 interface continues to climb, while the data count on the WAN connection doesn't change). Note that the System log shows the line "kern.emerg Switched to main WAN (wan)", but the data count on the interface shows indicates that this hasn't actually happened.

Has anyone else seen this?
by
And I've now found the same thing happening on an RUT240. The failover to the cellular link works, but then when the Wired WAN is plugged back in, the RUT240 DOES NOT switch to using it, even though it shows an IP address present (private IP as its connected to my internet router) on the Network-WAN page. It appears that even though the Wired WAN IP has returned, WAN Failover Status (Status-Network-WAN) shows WAN: [Wired] not ready.

If no one else has ever seen this, I guess I've configured something incorrectly, but I dont see where.

By the way Teltonika devs, it would be really useful to have an SMS alert when the failover is activated or deactivated.
by anonymous
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I have to re-enable this question sorry devs.

I've found that while the failover is working for our RUT240's, it still ISNT working for the RUTX11.

I've set the X11 failover to use the same 'check IP's as the RUT240, but it still has the same issue. The primary link is the Wired WAN, with Mobile as secondary. If I remove the WAN cable, the X11 switches to the Mobile backup, and sends me an SMS saying its switched to backup, and the SIM data count starts increasing.

If I then replace the WAN cable, I get an SMS saying its switched back to the main WAN, but the data count on the SIM interface keeps increasing, so it hasn't really switched. The Wired WAN shows as having an IP address, and being online, but the X11 doesn't appear to be using it.

If I then disable the Mobile interface, I get another SMS saying 'WAN (mob1s1a1 is down, no more backups to switch', and the X11 starts using the main WAN port (data starts increasing).

If I then re-enable the Mobile interface, the X11 keeps using the Main WAN, correctly.
by
I also cannot get the failover switch back on the RUTX11 (current firmware) when the primary wired WAN is back online. The same failover configuration for WAN and SIM1 did not help in my case. Is there anything else to consider?

3 Answers

0 votes
by

So to answer my own question, a slight config change fixed this. Note this page: https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/RUT950_WAN#Failover_Configuration

Accessed from Network-WAN, then edit the relevant interface. I set both Wired WAN and Mobile interfaces the same. the RUT240 monitor interval to 10 secs, timeout to 3, and both attempts to 3, and it seems to work fine, even with the OpenVPN tunnels running.

Still keen on that SMS to report the failover, and return to main, devs :-)

0 votes
by anonymous

Hi,

Glad it worked for you :)

Regarding your need to receive SMS when failover activates, you can configure 'Events Reporting' to do that.

Check this page! Choose mobile data for event, choose send SMS as action, scroll down and put your number as recipient. It's a way around but it should work.

0 votes
by anonymous

I also want to learn the new techniques of running the coaching center. However, you can check here some resource that may help you.