FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
524 views 2 comments
by
Hi. I have the following network setup, and I'm struggling to set up a RUTX09 as primary WAN on a USG gateway. I have a slightly unusual network topology in as much as I'm using a Unifi 16 port switch to power the RUTX09 over PoE. Its mounted in an external antenna. Now as far as I can work out,  I need to VLAN tag 2 ports on the switch, tag WAN1 on the USG with the same VLAN and let the RUTX09 assign an IP address to the WAN1 connection on the USG. It would just need to be in another range from the local IP addresses, correct?

For example 10.0.0.x range from the RUTX09, 10.0.1.x from the backup on WAN2 (wired crap DSL connection) and 192.168.1.x on the LAN side of the network.

I've tried assigning a static IP in the USG and the switch and given it to the Rutx09 but I'm unable to browse it on the network.

I'm sure this is a simple setup to some of you guys but I've never tackled anything like this before and its baffled me.

Any help greatly appreciated!

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous
Hi,

Yes, USG gateway WAN1 IP should be from the same network as RUTX09 LAN IP, in your case if RUTX09 has LAN IP 10.0.0.254, then you'd need to assign USG gateway WAN1 port interface IP address 10.0.0.1-253, if you're using static IP configuration, then you'd need to configure gateway IP (10.0.0.254) and DNS servers.

When you've tried to test your internet connection, have you tried to ping specific IP's e.g. 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 to determine if DNS servers aren't resolving hostnames or if you don't have internet access completely?
by
Hi! I got the setup working as you said, and I now have a static leased to the USG and I have a working internet connection.

I've just discovered a new problem though!

When I try to set the VLAN id (50) in the switch, the USG cannot see the internet anymore. I've set it as a tagged port in the RUTX09, and the VLAN ID to 50 in the USG. No connection with this, but turn off the VLAN tag and boom, internet is back.

Unfortunately I need to VLAN it because I need to power the RUTX09 with PoE from a Unifi Switch.
by
Maybe can share the screenshot of your VLAN configuration page?