FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
430 views 0 comments
by
Hello!

I have installed RUT240 to a boat and planned to use it to provide Wi-Fi/Internet access for phones and smart TV (Finlux 22ffmd5620).

Phones are connecting to RUT240 Wi-Fi AP just fine and are able to connect to the Internet. Also Raspberry Pi seems to work fine with wired LAN connection. However, the smart TV is causing troubles. It can see wireless networks, but after adding password it just seems to timeout after a while. The strangest thing is that it already worked before and started to cause troubles and gray hairs today. I also tested sharing Internet from my iPhone and that is accepted by the TV without any issues. But for some reason it doesn't work with RUT240.

Is it possible with see from RUT240's logs what's going on when TV tries to connect? Could it be related to Wi-Fi security settings? Should I somehow try to use similar like in iPhone? I even tried without any Wi-Fi encryption at all and it didn't make any difference. Default transmit power is 100% - could it be too high? TV and RUT240 are only couple of meters from each other.

Any ideas of what I could try still?

Thanks all!

1 Answer

+1 vote
by anonymous

Hi,

It's very hard to tell because different systems have different WiFi handling options. Plus, I've never used the TV in question.

There's an inactivity timer for WiFi clients that is set to 300 seconds by default. It's possible the TV can trigger this timeout, because unlike phones or computers, TVs do not run as many services that require an Internet connection. However, the router does not "kick" an inactive client after this period, but instead sends an empty packet to it. If the packet is acknowledged by the client, it stays connected; if not - the client it disconnected and deauthenticated.

If the router is indeed disconnecting the TV, you should see an indication such as this in the system log:

Thu Jul 30 06:46:53 2020 daemon.info hostapd: wlan0: STA 00:11:22:33:44:55 IEEE 802.11: disassociated due to inactivity

You'll find the system log in the System → Administration → Troubleshoot page. To make the relevant entry easier to find, I suggest viewing the log a minute after the TV disconnects.

For more detailed troubleshooting, you can set up tcpdump in the same page. It is used for capturing data packet information. For the WiFi interface you can set it up like this:

Download the tcpdump file a few minutes after the TV disconnects. Analyzing the file may provide a clue as to which party is responsible for the disconnect and why. You can open tcpdump files with Wireshark.

Important: when you're done with testing, don't forget to disable tcpdump. Otherwise it will keep storing packet capture data and using up memory.

If you need help with Troubleshooting, you can send me the tcpdump file along with a Troubleshoot file (can be downloaded from the same page) via private message. Just keep in mind that these files may hold sensitive information, such as IP addresses or phone numbers/emails if you have any in your configuration.

Good luck,
DM