FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
2,238 views 2 comments
by
Hi,

I've just put a RUT240 with Poynting XPOL001 external antenna on my boat which is using an EE SIM card. The external antenna is mounted on the rig that sits at the very top of the boat, but I'm only getting download speeds of between 5 and 10MB.

My mobile phone uses an identical EE SIM and if I run the same speed test (from the same location) over the mobile network I get DL speeds as high as 46MB.

I've upgraded the router's FW to the latest version but no improvement ... the router is stable but slow.

The supplier said that these routers don't work well with Voice & Data SIMS - they work better with Data-only SIMS.

I've quizzed EE on this and they assure me the data service provided on Voice & Data and Data-only SIMS should be no different, which undermines the supplier's theory.

Can anyone suggest why the RUT240's speed is so much lower than my mobile using the same network?

Many thanks

Steve
by
Having now tested the RUT240 extensively and read all of the past posts on this topic, I have to conclude that the RUT240 just isn't capable of connecting at speeds anywhere close to what it should (or at least what I expected).

DL speeds of 1 - 10MB DL is what it delivers, where my phone (connected to same mobile service in the same location) delivers anything between 50 and 80MB, depending on where it is.

I understand the limitations of CAT4, but with every post reporting exactly the same findings, it's clear that the RUT240 is built to a price point, rather than a performance point.

This is a shame ... it's small, configurable and very flexible, and I'm sure its speeds would be fine for some applications, but if you're hoping to stream TV etc, it just can't deliver the speed.

Can anyone recommend an alternative 4G router which can be powered from 12V and take an external antenna?

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Sorry man for you, my RUT240 works well and download speed is fast as 4g capable bandwidht on my site located at high elevated point 1.800 m.s.o.

Singal strenght is one os most important factor to get full dl/ul speds. But not only this, some important consideration to do  with alignment to base station and how many "bands" modem can lock when connected to. LTE network.

LTE can provide more than then bands of frequencyes, but this not mean the modem grant all, to reach full ul/dl speed, this in other hands mean be many "variabile factors impact on overall performance.

So my RUT240 is connected at 51/59 dBm with double directive lte antennas, trought 10mt of antenna cable, works like an ftth link, :D but if singal is over to 70 dBm you can get in performance trouble.

Second point you do know, related RUT240 hardware base and cpu power,  looks at dmesg print:

[    0.000000] CPU0 revision is: 00019374 (MIPS 24Kc)
[    0.000000] SoC: Atheros AR9330 rev 1
This hardware is around on market since 2006 and mips 24k cpu runs a 400 mhz is single core single tread architeture, so for provide faster performance at all is indeed advice to do some additional "tuning" on configuration.

I see slow response when RUT240 loaded with many threads like open multiple WEB UI instances into browser, with 6-7 pages opened RUT is not happy :D I mean you could disable ALL unwanted feature and clean ALL unwanted connections for reach maximum performance capability.

Or of course you can buy some more powerful product if you need handle many parallel tasks/clients connected and high rate internet traffic up to it.

For my experience to this product works well for me and my single DVR client connected to, but I do some litte "cleaning" on firewall configuration for unleash cpu tasks load, this is the truth.

A side note for firewall configuration of RUT240, I check it is full of "many" zones leave alone un-configured and maybe you dont'want some type of advanced stuffs like GRE SSTP PPPTP L2TP, so you can edit "/etc/config/firewall" and clean up unwanted zones/rules with reasonable safety.

If you don't is enough "nerd" to do this , so I can try to clean your firewall configuration if you want, send me a P.M.

Regards

by anonymous

Hello,

·         How do you measure the RUT240 speed? Please perform tests by connecting only one device to the wired LAN port.

·         What is real speed your Internet provider supports at that area? Try inserting the same SIM card in another device and run speed test.

·         Check the signal strength on the menu Status > Network > Mobile. This article is an overview of recommended signal strength levels for different mobile service modes. Make sure the signal level is excellent or good.

·         Run speed test by using default Teltonika antennas. Make sure you have connected both: MAIN and AUX.

·         Please reset device, then repeat speed test using default configuration. When finished, you can restore the previous settings if you have previously saved the backup file (menu System> Administration> Backup).

Best regards.