FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
2,613 views 10 comments
by anonymous

We are experiencing an issue with (re-) connecting a registered provider in SIM1 slot without failover in a RUT950 (FW RUT9XX_R_00.06.06.1) It was tested with two (2) different providers KPN and Vodafone both Netherlands. The router appaerently connects in a normal way, no issues at all. But after a few hours the status becomes disconnected (see picture). What can be done, or what should be done to AUTOMATIC reconnect the data connection again? One would expect that the router has a protocol to auto-reconnect (push connection interval???) when a signal is to low or blocked or temporarily lost. As you can see the signal strength is pretty strong -51 dBm.
We expect this is caused by firmware! Once the router is powered cycled off/on the connection is back again for a few hours. So this is absolutely not caused by lack of signal. We tested this with several TelTonika RUT950 (different batches, same bootloader and FW) routers, all routers show the same behaviour. Once the status is 'disconnected' the router never comes online again. Should the router not re-connect by itself again as we would expect or do we have explicit to program auto reboot or wget the cellular modem when a certain IP is not available (watchdog)?

Attached find a copy of the troubleshoot file https://community.teltonika-networks.com/?qa=blob&qa_blobid=15626375805127586419

Router uptime more than two hours then suddenly disconnected... would a automatic push-connection interval do the trick???

After powercylce the router is connected again...

We are completely lost in how to solve this, except powercycling all the time.... Anyone?????

by
Beste Johan, wij gebruiken de RUT 500 serie, RUT 900, RUT 950 en 955 series en gebruiken daarbij SIMS van KPN, TELE2, VODAFONE en SWISSCOM. Op dit moment hebben we de laatste versie van teltonika in test, maar hebben weer onregelmatigheden gevonden betreffende de mobile verbindingen. Test de versie 06.07 eens met een rut waarbij je start na de update met het factory resetten van de rut mbv de reset button. Dan de rut opbouwen met de gewenste config waarbij je Default service op 4g zet. Als deze niet aanwezig is zakt hij terug naar 3g enz.

Config altijd auto-reboot, elke dag om vaste tijd en config ping-reboot.

Succes,
by
Hello,

I have same problem, latest sw and disconnects when it wants, helpless to be able to reconnect again?only help is to restart the connection again(to operator)Newer had this problem before with the old sw. any solution? Or shall I need to buy something else other manufacturer or other model that works with out trouble? Open for ideas.

7 Answers

0 votes
by anonymous

Hi,

Could you please first try these options below:

• Try setting up APN to custom one provided from your operator.
  • Check if frequency bands are set to AUTO, so they could connect to the best signal tower locally.
And a question: do other provider SIMs behave the same way? Have you noticed any pattern after what time data connection is gone?
EB.
by
We tried custom APN live.vodafone.com, we tried via the wizard Vodafone (live.vodafone.com) the first connection is no problem, but after a while when the router status becomes registered but not connected it wil not reconnect until you powercycle it. We tried two different SIMS from Vodafone one SIM from KPN. All the same behaviour even in different TelTonika RUT950 routers! We tried two routers from different batches.The data is gone after a few hours or when the signal becomes to low e.g. -91 dBm or lower. Frequency was AUTO, never changed that setting. See troubleshoot file.
by anonymous
When you meant different routers, you meant our routers? Or totally different brands?

If it's ours - please send troubleshoot files from them too.

EB.
0 votes
by
We tested with different power sources, different RUT950 routers from different batches. Before every single test we even did a factory reset. Even tested with different SIM providers. Everything we did, the router is not automatically reconnecting. It is kind of halted in 'disconnected' from the service providers we tested. Once it is disconnected the router never comes back online. We are lost in a confuse state! We finally took another brand router with internal antennas at the same location, same signal strength, same SIM... at the first SIM 100% ONLINE and it was almost impossible to get the router offline. Even when the signal strength reaches -91 dBm it was still connected. One would expect TelTonika with external SMA antennas would do bettter.... unfortunatelly not. We even tried with 11dBi external 4G antennas. Nothing changed the behaviour... router goes 'disconnected' after a while and never comes back online. Only after a power cycle. We suspect the firmware, or there must be an hardware issue in different batches?!
by anonymous

I will need you to try this with different firmware. Please downgrade your firmware to this one: https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/wikibase/images/1/19/RUT9XX_R_00.06.05.3_WEBUI.bin through bootloader menu and check if router behaves differently.

EB.

by
Why specific this firmware RUT9XX_R_00.06.05.3 version? Is there a special reason???
by anonymous
Clients seem to have less issues with it and there were some changes with mobile connectivity and logic behind it. So, for testing and progress of solving this issue reasons, I ask you to ask your client to try that earlier update on his device and let us know does anything change at all.

Thank you.

EB.
0 votes
by
We (reseller) can and may not expect from our end-user customer to test on their behalf. We feel very disappointed that you even ask if we want to test older firmware than delivered with the hardware. Hard- and firmware should be 100% reliable when going out of the factory!!!
We replaced hardware already with identical device RUT950 from another batch, same firmware, same SIM. And yes we checked at the provider both data SIM's. They confirmed nothing wrong with the SIM's nor the 4G LTE masts in that particular area. We tried several configurations automatic APN and static APN. All exact the same result on both RUT950 hardware afther a while registered but 'disconnected' and not reconnecting automatically but on powercycle it does! To keep our customer 100% satisfied after two weeks of testing and struggeling we finally replaced the RUT950 by other brand router and this one worked flawless out of the box. No issues since! So if you ask our opinion: Teltonika fails due to quality check... your loss.
by anonymous

Sorry to hear you have problems with our products. As our routers are more complex than daily use other brand routers they intend to have such problems that we, unfortunately, can't detect because of so many different use-cases. We will look into your problem and try to fix the issue ASAP.

For now, as a temporary solution, I can suggest configuring AUTO REBOOT, which on lost connection and lost ping will reboot your router into the usable state again.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

EB.

by anonymous
I have the same problem, beside that even a reboot doesn't help. And I agree: before adressing any complex situations, this simply has to WORK! No excuse.
by
Hilarious...you need to understand the MNO parameters first, before blaming others for "connection issues"
0 votes
by

Sorry but our case is not that complex at all. It just is very verry simple. Straight forward internet for some wifi cliënts (e.g. tablet, phone and laptop) onboard a sailing yacht. The RUT950 is powered on 12VDC battery power including a power stabilizer and when needed a 12V DC/ 230V AC Pure Sinus power converter and your company supplied AC/DC powersupply. We know what we do! Easily by means of a 4G data single SIM only online is all the customer needs and wants. As the Teltonika have SMA antenna onnectors we often supply external high gain 4G LTE antennas which are mounted in the mast or on the railing of the boat. Nothing spectacular at all. No failover needed, no VPN needs, just internet access. As we always sold RUT950 routers in the past this was never ever a problem before. Just the latest batches form an issue not stable connecting to the 4G provider network. Configuring AUTO REBOOT on lost IP watchdog connection, wget modem reboot or even planned reboot is NOT a serious solution!!! That are quick fixes only. The basics (4G internet access) of these routers should in our opinion work flawless out of the box with any provider within the EU. Sorry is no excuse for our customer!

0 votes
by

Dank voor de reactie.

Auto-reboot moet geheel niet nodig zijn en is zelfs onwenselijk vanwege actieve voip verbindingen. In de laatste firmware RUT9XX_R_00.06.07 is "Persistent connection" en "Timeout" toegevoegd. Downward connectivity 4G,3G etc moet vanzelfsprekend zijn. En factory reset -hard of -soft maakt alleen dat de waarden van enige vorige configuratie resten ook op 'null' worden gezet. In de terminal kan je dit ook handmatig doen. Dit mag een overigens een connectivity probleem van het onboard LTE modem absoluut niet in de weg zitten.

0 votes
by
I am unhappy to say so... better buy another brand router that will stay online forever... even the cheap ones routers auto-reconnect after the signal was lost in bad mobile signal conditions like a mobile phone does. RUT950 is in some cases NOT STABLE.
0 votes
by anonymous
I can confirm this and similar problems with the LTE connection. I just spent 2 days figuring out, why the router does seem to connect with mobile network, but cannot get no data. The problems were numerous. From steadily switching between the sims, although I disabled switching, over sticking to SIM 2, while I 20 times switched to SIM 1, then entering 3 times false PIN and 10 times wrong PUK - not it was NOT wrongly entered in the admin panel! The first time this happens, I saw it timely and were able to remove the SIM, put in my mobile and enter the PUK (yes, the one I wrote FROM the webgui worked in my movile phone). After putting it back into theRUT - again several  time wrong PIN, end then 10 times wrong PUK! Thank You RUT955 for trashing my sim card, have to wait now for 3 days for a new one.

So, in the end, I downgraded the firmware to 6.07 and most of the problems with LTE are GONE!

...but the list goes on.

GPS not working any more...

the newest fun is: I can come to the admin gui via zerotier remotely, but not locally via Wifi AP. Also the internet connection (which the router  has now) does not get passed to the Wifi AP. Fresh resetted and installed device!

It is really hilarious, that the product front page speaks of a "highly reliable" router. You're kidding. This device is buggy as hell, You just cannot use it in productive environment, it's not even enough for home use. It's more like maker project, You cannot really sell this!