FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
1,154 views 1 comments
by
Hi All,

Trying  to use the url blocker and the proxy based blocker to prevent access to video streaming
like youtube. vimeo and mobdro. I have read the wise words in the Wiki about reloading the
browser etc..but its just not doing it for me here. I wondered if the proxy only works on HTTP not
HTTPS ?  I would expect the URL blocker to be working on DNS lookup ??

So - lets start with youtube - On my RUT955 I have tried in both of the filter screen tabs:

youtube.com
*youtube*
*.youtube.*

none of which worked .

I have saved the changes - I am about to try (but have not yet tried) rebooting the router
to rebind these changes to the operational config.

If someone has this working 100% can they share their filter string please ?

Many thanks

Regards

BB

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hi,

Here's a text file with some of (not all) Youtube's known domains (including mobile): youtube_domain_list. You can upload it to the router via the Web Filter page.

I've quickly tested this myself and it didn't work for me either until I've rebooted the router. A service restart after save is probably missing. I'll try and look into it.

by anonymous
Thanks once again Dziugas

I suspected a service restart would be needed  - that is the case on most Linux firewalls - but
as I'm in the middle of a test run, I just want to leave it running as I'm trying to accurately
profile the minimum amount of data consumed passively keeping the VPN alive 24/7
so the boss can fight with finance for the SIM data allowance for a target application.

Regards

BB