FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
1,243 views 4 comments
by anonymous
Hello everyone

I can not resolve the hostname on my RUT X11. I tried all the common solutions mentioned here in the forum. Like adding "nameserver 8.8.8.8" to /etc/resolv.conf (might be misspelled - sorry). And tried so many combinations of public DNS servers in the Web UI. Noting is working although perfect LTE connection.
Actually I only want to use the normal DNS server by the provider (Telekom in this case) and as far as I know there is this setting something like "use DNS server from peers". I can not resolve the hostname though and I cannot ping outside the network as well.

Now things are getting weird. I was able to browse the web for a few minutes yesterday but with the exact same settings (from backup file) it is not working now. I am a little helpless and under timepressure . All other functions are working fine. 35 Hosts in network doing good but no working DNS connection apparently.
And I have to add that the LTE modem is behaving a little bit strange. It got stuck a few times during setup and I had to reset the whole router. That was the only way to get back LTE connection.

Troubleshouting file can be provided by direct message

EDIT:
Realized that editing config files over ssh is not permanent. Changing under root and rebooting device from cli is not permanent apparently. How can I make it permanent???

Thank you!

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello, 

Regarding this issue you are having could you try upgrading your RUTX11 to the latest firmware available without keeping the settings. 
If you are using the latest firmware available for this RUTX11 i recommend you restoring the settings to the default one and follow this steps:

1. Login to the RUTX11 Web UI. 
2. Then enable Advance mode so that you can navigate mobile settings.

3. After than you can navigate to the Network > Interfaces > MOB1S1A1 (SIM 1) or MOB1S2A1 (SIM 2)

You can change configuration by pressing the pencil icon.
4. After editing just disable Auto APN then you can specify the APN of your mobile network.

Then after saving the configuration your issue should be solved. 

For the CLI part when you are editing you can use the command "vi" and to save it use command ":wq" after that execute "luci-reload"
or via uci commands. 

Firmware link: https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/RUTX11_Firmware_Downloads
UCI Commands: https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/UCI_command_usage

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Jerome

by anonymous
Thank you for your detailed answer.

Unfortunately I already did ALL of this except of using the luci-reload command in CLI, there I used just "reboot"
I have to add that I own a Bachelor Degree in Computer Science so I know how to operate a CLI. I was not able to set up the router within two days though....

So step by step. I updated the firmware right out of the box. It does not make a difference whether I use auto APN or internet.telekom. I thought maybe the DHCP/DNS setting of the clients was the problem but the router himself can not resolve the hostnames for the built in speed test as well. I have had an external LTE antenna attached to the router. The weird thing I noticed is when I switched from LTE only Band to Auto selection, the modem was only searching for 3g and was stuck in a loop then. Only resetting the device resolved the issue. And on top, the LTE modem stopped completely from time to time.

I tried several times to reset and started all over from the factory settings but this made no difference. Obviously the easiest way to set up DNS is using the ones by the provider. But even if not I got stuck in setting up DynDNS (because of a shared public IP) or setting up 8.8.8.8 for example because I can not ping outside the network.
by anonymous
Hello,

Could you first test the steps that i shared?

There is a difference between the use of Auto APN and Manual Selection of APN. This is when the ISP provider is assigning IP address on the sim card in the 100.64.0.0/10 range. instead of 10.0.0.0/8.

Also could you share me the troubleshoot file of the device kindly make sure that getting this troubleshoot file the device is
running like 5-10 mins for me to get the whole logs of the router.

If the issue you are having still persist. Let me know.

Thank you and have a nice day!
Hope it helps

Regards,

Jerome
by anonymous
Tried it out does not make a difference unfortunately
by anonymous
Hello,

Sorry to hear that. Could share me a troubleshoot file instead??

Before sharing me the troubleshoot file of the device kindly make sure that getting this troubleshoot file the device is running like 5-10 mins for me to get the whole logs of the router.

Thank you and have a nice day

Regards,
Jerome