FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
497 views 4 comments
by
Hey!

I just got a RUTX09... I'm having some issues:

• Logging into 192.168.1.1 doesn't always work. If I turn off the RUTX next time it's a mess and I get messages like "You're not connected to the internet" etc. Usually takes a couple of resets before it finally works again.

• Cannot get both SIMs connected at the same time.

• The status menu is confusing, it's hard to find the status of all three connections Wired WAN, SIM1 and SIM two, and it's very hard to tell which one is actually active? And sometime it seems like it's using Mobile instead of Wired then how to I make it switch to wired?

Here's what I'm hoping to use the RUTX09 for, so any advice how to best achieve this would be great:

I need it for live streaming events at different venues. Most of the time I hope to get a wired broadband connection. Then it will be the kind of cable you usually plug a computer to (wire coming from venue's router). Then I will be needing the 4G SIM card to act as backup in case the wired connection goes down. This seems to work when testing at home, if I unplug the wired connection the 4G takes over. But when plugging wired back in, I'm not sure it returns to using the wired connection again. This is confusing.

On occasions I will be at locations without wired broadband, then I want to use 2 SIM cards so SIM2 is used as a backup for SIM1. Problem here is that I haven't been able to get a "Running" status from both SIMs at the same time.

Hope someone can help me with this, thanks!

/Dmitri

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hi,

• Logging into 192.168.1.1 doesn't always work. If I turn off the RUTX next time it's a mess and I get messages like "You're not connected to the internet" etc. Usually takes a couple of resets before it finally works again.

Most of the time this happens because your PC has more than one network interfaces which are fighting over priority on each other. So I would suggest setting static IP address on your network adapter. Other thing could be that your router is still booting up and you're trying to access WebUI that is still loading.

• Cannot get both SIMs connected at the same time.

As the router has only one modem - it can only have one SIM card active at the time. It is not technically possible to make them both active on RUTX09. This feature is only supported with RUTX12 as it has two modems.

• The status menu is confusing, it's hard to find the status of all three connections Wired WAN, SIM1 and SIM two, and it's very hard to tell which one is actually active? And sometime it seems like it's using Mobile instead of Wired then how to I make it switch to wired?

To set one of the interfaces as your preffered main interface you will need to go to WAN settings and move your preffered interface on the top. You will also be able to see which interface is active on this page by looking at the status and IP that is given to it.

If you're looking to set a Failover for your interfaces - you will need to enable it with the ON/OFF switch in the page for your preffered interfaces and also just move them accordingly to your priority.

I've read your use-case and Failover functionality is perfect for you. Just set those two interfaces to Wired WAN as main and active mobile interface as a secondary option and you will see that it should work. Also, once your Wired WAN is back up and running again - router will switch back to it and use it as a MAIN connection.

For SIM1 as main and SIM2 as backup scenario, you can use a SIM switch which will let you switch to SIM2 on events like weak signal or no network indication and etc.

EB.

by
Thanks you!

I will try the static IP and see if that improves things!

I have managed to make it switch from wired to SIM1 by unplugging the WAN ethernet cord, and this seems to be fine. Although on one occasion after plugging the ethernet cable back it was still using mobile data so it seemed it didn't switch back to using the wired WAN... hence the confusion in that regard.

How can I try out the switching from SIM1 to SIM2? If I just eject the active SIM card I have never managed to make it switch to the other SIM. That isn't exactly a reliable Failsafe ;) But maybe I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks again for the reply!

/Dmitri
by anonymous

Hi, it will connect to primary automatically, it may take time, but it will do it once it fully detects that primary is operational again.

For SIM switch you need to do it not through failover, but through SIM switch configuration.

To do it you need to go through Network > Mobile.

https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/RUT950_Mobile#SIM_Management

Please NOTE: as there is only one modem - there will be a noticeable disconnect upon a switch as the other SIM has to connect again to the operator before being operational.

EB.

by
Ok, so then if I understand it correctly, the SIM switch is rather useless if doing a live stream using only 4G connection? As the time it will take to switch between the SIM cards will disrupt the stream?

Sounds like I should have gone for the RUTX12 :(
by anonymous
It's not useless, but for your scenario it's problematic. RUTX12 is indeed a better choice for your solution.

EB.