FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
469 views 8 comments
by

Dear sir/madame,

I am experimenting with a Teltonika TRB142 (rs232 port) and want to use it in the Bidirect mode. Initial I want to connect to a Server which communicates transparently RS232 (8N1 115200 baud) no flowcontrol, with my application on the serial port. (Client settings of the TRB142= i.p. address, portnumber, reconnect interval: 60 sec., Server settings of the TRB142= TCP portnumber (=23), open port automatically. By means of portforwarding I configured to reach the LAN port 23 on 192.168.1.1 (LAN address TRB142) from port 23 of the WAN address. When I try to reach the serial port (23 of the WAN address) it does'nt succeed. When I only configure as Server (not Bidirect) then I succesfully can reach the serial port on port 43 on the WAN address. I did not yet test the client side, that now is just an existing i.p. address from which I opened the specific port. I did the same experiment with the Teltonika RUT955 and then it just worked fine. There I succesfully can communicate over the WAN adres/portnumber with the serial port of my device. What can be the cause I experience some problems with the Teltonika TRB142? My goal is that  my device permanent (serial) is connected to a TRB142 to a server. When I have to do some troubleshouting /servicing with my device, I want to take over the connection from the server, which drops the client connection when I approach the server mode of the TRB142.

Can you please help me? What am I doing wrong? 

With Kind Regards,

Johan Hiemstra

Software Engineer Landustrie Sneek B.V The Netherlands

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous
Hi!

Could you add a topology, software you're using, and screenshots where you fail to connect to devices when TRB is in bidirect mode?

Also, if you add a troubleshoot file - it would be really helpful.

EB.
by

Dear EB,

I did not get any reponse from you when I emailed you several times back, so I don't know what the status is of my problem issue.

(Perhaps I cannot reply by mailing directly and do I have to do it from here ;-)

I decided to look further, to try and get some progress. The TRB142 is new to me, so I searched  and found out the firmware version was not the latest.

I updated the device and the firmware version now is: TRB1420_R_00.01.06.1 (was TRB1420_R_00.01.05) The settings I left the same. Unfortunately, the problems stay the same.

As I told you, I already tested the same things with the RUT955 in Bidirect mode, and there I do not suffer these problems. When the serial server we connect to, is in the air, everything goes well. (Both ways, in client and server mode) The only thing which could be better with the RUT955 is that when the serial server is not in the air,  in Bidirect mode I cannot connect  to  the  Server mode to my I/O-Controller which is serial connected to the TRB142.

Now I have to configure the TRB142 to Server mode, and then I can connect  to the serial interface of my I/O-controller.   I would expect that when the serial server (where normally in client mode is connected to)  is not in the air, I just can connect in Server mode of the RUT955 to my device,

when the RUT955 is configured in Bidirect mode.

Now back to the TRB142. Despite my configuration in Bidirect mode, and the serial server of the third party in the air, I cannot connect to my I/O-Controller by means of the Server mode of the TRB142.

I found out that when I configure in Client mode, everything works just fine.

I found out that when I configure in Server mode, everything works just fine.

The only trouble I experience is when I use Bidirect mode, and that is the mode is wish to use! With the TRB142 during Bidirect mode I see no activity on the serial server side, in other words, the TRB142 does not connect in client mode with the serial server.

At the same time in Bidirect mode it is not posible for me to connect to the serial interface of my I/O-controller in Server mode. (And this functioned in the RUT955 succesfully, although the serial server of the third party had to be in the air)   

Is there an solution fort his problem? In my opinion during Bidirect mode I always should have the posibility to connect serial in Server mode, regardless of the serial server of the third party is in the air or not.

In the earlier mail you asked me to send a troubleshoot file, at first I did not understand, but now I found the feature in the menu of the TRB142

I hope you can help me, besides the troubles I experience now, this device (when it works) is exactly that where we are looking for as an alternative for CSD data (GSM) communictions with our serial devices.

With kind regards,

Johan Hiemstra | Software Engineer

by anonymous
Hi, the firmware is not the latest yet. You will have to update your device to this legacy firmware: https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/TRB142_Legacy_FW_Upgrade_Instructions

And then update it one more time using the FOTA. This way you should be on the latest one 02.04.

EB.
by
Dear EB,

I updated as you said (Version now = TRB1_R_00_02.04.3)  but I still suffer the same problems. In client mode the serial connection works just fine, as well in Server mode. When I configure the TRB142 in Bidirect mode the client connection is not build up and to connect using the server connection also does'nt work. As I told when I test the same with the Teltonika RUT955 it al works, with the restriction that the serial server we connect to in client mode has to be in the air.

Question:

Is it possible to let the TRB142 work the same as the RUT955? Best is that in Bidirect mode to be able to connect in server mode to our device, it not is required the serial server is in the air. (Else we still are dependent on the functioning of the software of the third party, and we want also to be able to connect to our device if that fails).

Question: Is it possible the RUT955 in bidirect mode also is reachable in serial server mode without having the serial server in the air were initially is connected to in client mode?

We want to find out if both Teltonika devices (the TRB142 and the RUT955) fit as our communication devices. I hope you can help us because we have to find alternative communication equipment because several providers in our country (KPN, Vodafone) are stopping with CSD data (GSM).

With kind regards,

Johan Hiemstra
by anonymous

Hi,

Could you execute netstat -tupan in your CLI and post the output here? It might be a known bug, but I need to see the output first.

EB.

by anonymous
Could you also send me the troubleshoot file via private message when you're having issues with TRB bidirect mode and also troubleshoot of RUT9 when you're successful?
by
Dear Ernestas,

I just sent you some troubleshoot files (web@teltonika.lt, Crowd Support Forum | Teltonika Networks)

Can you confirm if you got the files ?

With kind regards,

Johan Hiemstra
by anonymous
Hi,

You will have to register in this forum and private message me those files. web@teltonika.lt is an email for other purposes.

EB.
by
Hello EB,

I did register, sent the troubleshoot files.

Just to check, did you receive my message and the files?

With kind regards,

Johan Hiemstra