FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
245 views 2 comments
by anonymous
I am pretty new to networking in general and unsure of how to ask and even if what I'm asking is possible. I have a machine with a private address (192.168.1.100)  mask (255.255.255.0) and gateway (192.168.1.1). The issue is the IP cannot be changed on the machine, and I need to be able to access it from another device with a network of  (172.31.205.xx) mask (255.255.255.0) and no gateway. There is nothing but the RUT955 in between the two devices. My question, is there a way to setup the router where I can say assign a LAN port a static IP of (172.31.205.181) and then that IP act as the 192 address passing data back and forth to that single IP?

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hi,

As I see myself doing that I have two options:

1st

Configure my router to the same subnet your device is using (in this scenario 172.31.205.x) and then access the device and change the static IP address into something more comfortable for me. If your device somehow has a static IP address set it means there is a way to change it, maybe somewhere in the internal configurations between config files?

2nd

Setting up two routers, which have two different IP subnet ranges. Router A (which is connected to your PC) to have 192.168.1.1, and Router B which will connect your unknown device with subnet 172.31.205.x. So let's say Router B is 172.31.205.1.

I would connect Router A LAN to Router B WAN and set static routes between them.

Router A would have a static route to 172.31.205.0 with MASK 255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.1.x (whatever Router A DHCP server gave to Router B).

And then I would allow the traffic between them with these commands:

Router B:

iptables -I FORWARD -s 192.168.1.0/24 -j ACCEPT

After all of that, you should be able to ping each one of the sides and reach them.

In your place, I would be more interested in going after the first option as you might find configurations that could lead you to easier set-ups.

EB.

by anonymous
My apologies, the reason why the machines 192 address cannot be changed is because another system is already accessing it with that address through the mobile WAN port of the RUT. I think what I'm looking for is a way to do a 1:1 NAT on the RUT955, but I don't know if that is possible just from glancing over the documentation
by anonymous
If you're looking for 1:1 NAT - it is more commonly suggested to use SNAT and DNAT instead of 1:1, as SNAT-DNAT is more flexible and viable.

You can find instructions on it here: https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/RUT955_Firewall#Source_NAT

EB.