FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
357 views 2 comments
by
I have recently purchased a RUTX11 4G router and I'm using a Vodafone sim. However, I am unable to use imap to view my emails. I can view my emails when I'm at work and when I use VPN, but when I'm using the RUTX11 router at home, I get the message  “Outlook cannot synchronize subscribed folders ...” I get this message regardless of whether I turn the firewall off (on the router) or change the DNS on my computer. I have set up the settings as instructed on my email account website:

For Incoming

Check that the pull-down menu is set to IMAP

Set Server hostname to imap.hermes.cam.ac.uk

For Port select 143

For Connection security select STARTTLS
For Authentication select Normal password

When I am on VPN and IMAP is working, the Outlook log file has the lines:

IMAP: 21:48:37 [rx] * CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 LITERAL+ ID ENABLE STARTTLS LOGINDISABLED

IMAP: 21:48:37 [rx] x4h3 OK CAPABILITY completed

IMAP: 21:48:37 [tx] nre9 STARTTLS

whereas when I'm not using VPN and IMAP is not working, the Outlook log file has the corresponding lines:

IMAP: 20:55:39 [rx] * CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 LITERAL+ ID ENABLE LOGINDISABLED

IMAP: 20:55:39 [rx] b60y OK CAPABILITY completed

IMAP: 20:55:39 [db] ERROR: "A secure connection to the server cannot be established.", hr=0x800CCCE1

IMAP: 20:55:39 [db] Connection to 'imap.hermes.cam.ac.uk' closed.

The difference made me wonder whether the problem was to do with STARTTLS. When I use the openssl command on my router I get the following:

root@Teltonika-RUTX11:~# openssl s_client -starttls imap -showcerts -connect imap.hermes.cam.ac.uk:143

CONNECTED(00000003)

didn't found STARTTLS in server response, try anyway...

3069916360:error:140790E5:lib(20):func(121):reason(229):NA:0:

---

no peer certificate available

---

No client certificate CA names sent

On the other hand, when I try this command from a network where IMAP works, I get

s********@B*******:~$ openssl s_client -starttls imap -showcerts -connect imap.hermes.cam.ac.uk:143

CONNECTED(00000003)

depth=2 C = BM, O = QuoVadis Limited, CN = QuoVadis Root CA 2 G3

verify return:1

depth=1 C = BM, O = QuoVadis Limited, CN = QuoVadis Global SSL ICA G3

depth=0 C = GB, ST = Cambridgeshire, L = Cambridge, O = University of Cambridge, OU = University Information Services, CN = imap.hermes.cam.ac.uk

---

Certificate chain

0 s:/C=GB/ST=Cambridgeshire/L=Cambridge/O=University of Cambridge/OU=University Information Services/CN=imap.hermes.cam.ac.uk

i:/C=BM/O=QuoVadis Limited/CN=QuoVadis Global SSL ICA G3

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----

MIIHt....

I know very little about STARTTLS, but if you can shed any light on what is wrong with my setup, I'd be very grateful.

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous
Hi,

Have you tried other email service providers in the first place? Like GMAIL?

Please test it out with other services and if you're successful with them - take a look at the server side of the one you're trying to use right now.

EB.
by
Thanks for your suggestion. I can access email from gmail, but gmail uses port 993. However, imap.hermes.cam.ac.uk uses port 143, so I wouldn't be comparing like with like. Also, I have absolutely no problem accessing email via imap.hermes.cam.ac.uk:143 when I'm not using the RUTX11 router, so I'm a bit reluctant to suggest to Cambridge University (who host imap.hermes.cam.ac.uk)  that their email server is misconfigured. Do you happen to know an email service provider who uses imap on port 143? If I can get such an email service to work using my RUTX11, I might then consider contacting Cambridge University to see if they have any known issues.
by anonymous
Alright, could you give me full repeatable steps on your RUTX11 configuration, and what have you set up on your computer? To find the issue I will need to fully reproduce the issue.

EB.