FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
412 views 6 comments
by
My RUT500 is a part of a remote monitoring to check that my boat, parked for the whole winter, still has power and that the whole system is ok.

For so, my system is connected by Ethernet to the RUT500, and my firmware triggers the transmission of SMS when events occur. I receive these SMS on my mobile phone. I can also poll my system by sending a SMS that contains a keyword to trigger the system to send a report when I want.

Once every one or two months, the RUT500 stops working. When I send the trigger SMS, I receive no answer. Moreover, if I send a SMS containing the word "status", the RUT500 should reply with the status of the 3G connection (level, ip address, etc.). But when my RUT500 is in this blocked state, it does not even reply to the "status" message.

What I do then is ask a friend to go to my boat and reboot the RUT500. Once restarted, it resumes operation. In particular, it sends all the replies to every SMS I had sent during the blocked state, in a row.

So it seems that in the blocked state, it still receives and buffers the incoming SMS, but for some reason, does not process them (it does not process the "status" command), and it does not make the keyword  that my firmware can recognize, available for decoding. So probably the handling of the SMS by Post/Get through ethernet does not work either.

My RUT500 currently has the firmware RUT5XX_NW_00.02.46_WEBUI, but this problem occurred since the beginning.

I saw restart on its own once, but normally it does not resume operation unless it is rebooted.

I have also observed that this occurs more frequently when I am at a border when the modem alternates between my regular mobile phone operator, and foreign operators.

Did anyone experience this? I am really annoyed to have a remote monitoring system that cannot reliably be polled.

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous
Hi,

As the device reached its EOL - I highly recommend switching it into something new that we have. I understand your troubles, but this would require investigating and firmware changes that we do not do anymore.

EB.
by
Which model would you advise me, knowing that my use of the product is the following :

SMS send and receive

WIFI access point, but only locally, no connection to the internet (3G SIM card data disabled)

2 Ethernet ports.

As you see, I do not need performance.
by anonymous
RUT240 might be an option for you then. It has two ethernet ports (WAN and LAN), WAN can be functioning as LAN. It has WiFi and mobile functionality you need.

EB.
by
I had a look at the product in the site. It seems that there is only one Ethernet port, whereas I need two. Or, can I use the WAN port as a LAN port?

Is the protocol for SMS the same as for the RUT500?
by anonymous
Please take a look:

https://teltonika-networks.com/lt/product/rut240/

It has two ethernet ports.

EB.
by
Thank you, I have browsed the web pages and downloaded the datasheet.

However, I did not find the information about the management of SMS through Ethernet. For my RUT500 I was sent the specific information (Post/Get SMS management) by one of your dealers. Is it the same for the 240, or is there another documentation you might want to send me?
by anonymous
Yes, should be the same by your expectations.

https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/SMS_Gateway

EB.