FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
196 views 1 comments
by anonymous

Hi All,

I have RUT950 running in a very rural area in Sri Lanka where I don't have access to even within the next few months ( or within next year who knows about this covid thing )

The firmware version is pretty old and I was thinking to upgrade.

• current firmware - RUT9XX_R_00.06.04.2
  • to new firmware - RUT9XX_R_00.06.07.3_WEBUI.bin

I have OpenVPN configured on the router but not through web UI but I copied ovpn file and start the connection using the command line. and I put that command to rc.local file to start VPN client every time when router reboot

How safe to upgrade the firmware remotely to the mentioned version? I really don't want to lose access to this where this  act as my main CPE which connect almost everything on that remote location

So far this running stable. what the features, improvements the new version has?

Could someone help me with this?

Thanks

1 Answer

–1 vote
by anonymous
Hi,

I would consider this a really big jump in firmware versions and a lot of configurations and features are changed. If you had RMS - it would be easier and connection could be restored as long as SIM connects to the operator and you gain data connection, but in this case, I would say it's quite risky to upgrade when you have no way to physically reach it and change anything that might be needed to change.

So if you're running stable and have everything you need so far from the current version, my personal suggestion - do not upgrade.

Regarding your question about changes, all the changes are described next to firmware versions here, start from your current one, and go up:

https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/RUT950_Firmware_Downloads
Best answer
by anonymous
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I will update this when I have physical access to the device then

Thanks.