FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
888 views 2 comments
by
Hi,

I'm looking at Teltonika Hardware (specifically the RUTX09) to deliver 4G backup to our customers. We are a small ISP delivering web content filtering to our customers. We typically deliver ethernet over L2, however in the case of 4G we would need to use our Off Net access platform via OpenVPN.

We have the OpenVPN server side working (as we use it for customers who are not directly connected to us), but my question is more around throughput. As we're just passing internet traffic, i'm not worried about encryption. I'm eagerly waiting for my hardware to arrive so i can test, but thought i'd ask the question.

We typically don't use encryption via OpenVPN and find it works well, but wondered if it was supported by these routers. I'm assuming if it cant be dont via the WebGUI i can do this via the OpenVPN config files.

Thanks in advance

Steve

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hi,

You should be able to disable encryption with these commands in the config file of your OpenVPN server:

• cipher none
  • auth none

Might be not necessary, but also use this:

• ncp-disable
If nothing happens after these commands are injected into server config, try using them in the client config too, sometime these options don't get pushed correctly.
EB
by
Perfect, thank you, i'll give this a go!

Does anyone have any views on OpenVPN throughput with Base Encryption, just in case we do need to encrypt
by anonymous

Usually, there's about a 30-50% difference in speeds once VPN is established, and that is because of various factors: distance to a server, server load and a load of the client, quality of encryption, and internet speed of your ISP.

EB.