FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
+1 vote
1,754 views 9 comments
by
I would like to understand how I should setup the RUTX09 to enable me to use it as a dual sim LTE modem with fail-over capabilities so that I can use my Draytek Router - I thought that I knew how to achieve this as I have done it with previous LTE modem routers, although the RUTX09 is clearly different.

My desired setup - IPV4 only - LAN > Draytek Router WAN > RUTX09 LAN > WAN MOB1S1A1 with MOB1S2A1 setup as a fail-over connection.

current FW: RUTX_R_00.02.05.2

The only settings I can use on the RUTX09 to enable my Draytek Router to communicate with it are as follows:

LAN IP set to a different subnet, in my case: 192.168.8.1       DHCP Server: Enable

In this setup I can see that the RUTX09 is connected to the the internet via EE sim (MOB1S1A1 bridged), however, i am not actually able to access the internet.

When I do anything other than have DHCP Server enabled, I am unable to communicate with the RUX09 via the Draytek, or via a direct PC wired connection.  I assume that there is something I am missing...?  please advise.

I was previously able to connect the the internet without issue with my Zyxel LTE router by changing the IP to operate on a different subnet to the Draytek and placing the router into bridged mode, although this lacked dual sim fail-over and the ability to add external hi-gain antenna.  These additional features are why I bought the RUTX09.
by
UPDATE -

I have tried everything in the other posts, all instructions etc in all remotely relevant posts... to follow on from a previous posts enquiry...

Is the router actually capable of operating in bridged mode?  I can connect, I have IP assigned in the Draytek, but can I access the internet... NO! I cannot access the internet via my Draytek with the RUTX in bridged mode...

That is not exactly right in terms of the way the product is marketed and the cost of the device if you follow my meaning...

2 Answers

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello, 

For the issue you are having, could you set up the router in normal NAT mode and check if the router is able to get network connectivity from the ISP? Also, it is best before doing this configuration to update the firmware to the latest one without keeping the settings

If it is having network connectivity you can proceed with configuring bridge mode and make sure to put the exact MAC address of the draytek router (WAN Mac address). 

If the issue still persists let me know.

Regards,
Jerome

by

Hi, when used as a standalone device, (NAT mode) I have no issues connecting to the internet via the RUTX (I am able to write and communicate this message for example).  the only reason I am looking to use the Draytek again, is that wifi calling does not work with the app UnityConnect (redcentric) on the RUTX, and it does via the Draytek.

Steps taken:

Flashed new firmware in bootloader

When MAC Address is entered, the RUTX will not connect with the Draytek, when the MAC Address field is left blank, the RUTX does connect with the Draytek.

Issue still persists.

by
Hi Jerome,

Not wishing to sound impatient, but do you have any ideas as to when firmware will be written to sort this bug out, looking at the forum, this issue is not exactly what one would call isolated is it?  It seems that this aspect of the router needs some serious attention by R&D, especially given the fact that it is both a premium product and marketed as being bridge mode capable.

Regards, Pete.
by anonymous

Hello,

As you see I tested it on my side it everything is working fine.

Clearer Image: https://prnt.sc/wf3jyk

Regards,
Jerome

by
Hi Jerome...

I am so happy that everything works fine on your side, sadly that is not the case with me. Would you like screen shots? (BTW not sure what your screenshots prove in terms of me seeing things work fine at your end, looks like it is pictorial representation of what you described in your opening answer).  If I were your managing director I would consider the volume of posts relative to this very important issue a major concern. There are literally more than 50 posts that relate to bridge mode problems and most of them conclude with Tech support saying "well we got it working our side"... That is not exactly a conclusion IMHO. Do you think people like me and the 50+ others enjoy having issues with our £250+ pieces of equipment and using this open forum to attempt to resolve our issues? It is not my idea of a good time. When will firmware be released that enables bridge mode to work properly?
by anonymous
Hello,

Could you share with me the troubleshoot file of the device so that I can check the configuration and know what is causing the issue.If you are pointing out what happened in the earlier cases it's due to misconfiguration for the things that are assigned to me. Most of them turned out to be the wrong configuration sometimes wrong connections.

Regards,
Jerome
by
Hi Jerome,

No problem, although you need to know that when I am unable to connect, I restore a saved backup that enables me to connect to the internet through the RUTX09 as a standalone router, I am not presently using the DrayTek as the RUTX09 does not connect to it in bridge mode.  Please message me the email to which I should send the file.

Thanks. Pete.
by anonymous
Hello,

You can send it via private message but you need to log in to your account.

Regards,
Jerome
by anonymous
Hello Folks, I have finally got this working so I thought I would share my solution step by step:

Main Router: DrayTek Vigor 2925

Step 0 - Disable WiFi on the laptop configuration is to be carried out on, and use Google Chrome Incognito to undertake all configuration tasks via a wired ethernet connection - I used a USB/Ethernet adapter as I have not Ethernet ports on my MacBook Pro.

Step 1 - Factory reset the DrayTek using the external reset button, hold this until the green ACT LED starts blinking rapidly, then release.

Step 2 - Connect to the DrayTek using a wired connection into any LAN socket (192.168.1.1) and note the MAC address for WAN1, then disconnect

Step 3 - Connect to the RUTX09 using a wired connection into LAN socket 1 (192.168.1.1) and Flash the Firmware in the RUTX09 with the latest version making sure NOT to keep settings - you will have to toggle the option switch to enable this.

Step 4 - Log into the RUTX09 and skip the setup wizard

Step 5 - Go to the Network menu and select LAN, once here, click to edit and change the IPv4 address to: 192.168.8.1 - Save the configuration.

Step 6 - In the Google Chrome Incognito address bar type 192.168.8.1 and log into the RUTX09.

Step 7 - Go to the Network menu, select WAN, go to the MOB1S1A1 connection and select bridge mode from the drop-down menu

Step 8 - Go to the MAC address field and enter the WAN1 address you previously noted from the DrayTek router in caps, with full stops (.) not hyphens (-) separating the digits and save the configuration.

Step 9 - Log back into the RUTX09 (192.168.8.1) and make sure the sim is connected (do not alter the auto-connect APN state, this seems to cause problems)

Step 10 - Disconnect the wired connection from the Laptop/Desktop and plug the cable into WAN1 on the DrayTek

Step 11 - Wait 5 minutes (VERY IMPORTANT)

Step 12 - Connect laptop to any DrayTek LAN socket and log in to the DrayTek (192.168.1.1) confirm a connection to the internet has been made on WAN1.

Step 13 - In a new chrome incognito window type 192.168.8.1 - this should enable connection to the RUTX09 via the DrayTek.

Step 14 - Head to Network and then WAN, make sure the MOB1S1A1 is connected to the internet.

Step 15 - Open a browser window to check that access to the internet is working as it should be

Step 16 - Head to Maintenance and download a backup file of the configuration

Step 17 - in a Chrome Incognito type 192.168.1.1 and log into the DrayTek (if not still logged in on another window) and create a configuration backup file, save both of the config backup files in a secure place on your computer.

Happy New Year Folks!
0 votes
by

I've tried the solution in this post, but it results in a Double NAT situation. I have a Ubiquiti UDM Pro. When I run a trace route from my laptop on my local network, it hops from 192.168.0.X > 192.168.8.X > and then onto other Class C IP's for a few hops as well with my ISP... I'm very confused. My WAN port of my UDP Pro does show what seems to be a proper WAN IP address...