FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
1,158 views 2 comments
by

Hi there,

Has anyone successfully configured their UniFI Dream Machine Pro WAN2 port to connect to a RUT950 via a SFP to ethernet convertor?

The issue seems to be that the RUT950 has only 10/100Mbps LAN ports and the Dream Machine Pro has a 1/10Gbps WAN2 port. I have tried:

1. using a multimode SFP adapter directly into the RUT950 - no joy with either DHCP or static IP settings
  2. Setting the Dream Machine Pro to autonegotiate and fixed 1Gbps speed
  3. Connecting via a 10/100/1000Mbps switch (i.e. RUT950 LAN1->switch->SFP module->UDMP WAN2

None of these seem to work.

Has anyone actually managed to coax a working internet connection from the WAN2 port to a RUT950?

Thanks,

Hugh

by anonymous
Hi,

We are having the same issue, did you ever get round to a fix for this?

Thanks

2 Answers

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

AS UniFI Dream Machine Pro is not our product it is hard to say what went wrong.

First of all, have you tested if RUT950 works correctly in a simple use case? For example, plug the router LAN1 port into the PC port and check if you can connect to the internet using DHCP or static configuration. If RUT950 works as expected, continue with your use case. UniFi WAN2 IP should be from the same network as RUT950 LAN IP, in your case if RUT950 has LAN IP 192.168.1.1, then you'd need to assign Unify gateway WAN2 port interface IP address 192.168.1.2-253, if you're using static IP configuration, then you'd need to configure gateway IP (192.168.1.1) and DNS servers.

Also, you should contact UniFi support, to guide you through the configuration steps of SFP WAN2 port.

Best regards.

0 votes
by anonymous
I have a RUT240 and I got it to work, but not ideally.

But first thing you need to do is to change the WAN2 interface from auto to 1Gbps FDX.

The only way I could get it to work is via yet another bridge. In this case I have a Netgear LB2120 (which I bought the RUT240 to replace because it's rubbish but it actually worked well with the UDM Pro - I'm sticking with the RUT240 because it's got a better signal reception than the LB2120).

I tested all the combination: I could connect to RUT240 as "bridge" or "passthrough" and they all get an IP address when I connect with my laptop.

When I connect the LB2120 to the RUT240, the LB2120 gets an IP address (the LB2120's WAN address) too. Then when I connect the UDM Pro's WAN2 to the LB2120 it gets an IP address from the LB2120 and from there, it connects to the internet.

I could not get the WAN2 to connect to the RUT240 no matter what option I tried. I have logged a case with Ubiquiti Support and the guy concluded that the UDM Pro is asking for an IP address but the RUT240 is not giving it one. It receives an IP address when it asks the LB2120 for one, just not the RUT240. So he suggests the problem lies with the RUT240.

So the current combination which I got it to work:

RUT240 (passthrough) - LB2120 (router) - UDM Pro WAN2

I've tried all the different combination of passthrough and bridge for the RUT240 and LB2120 and they don't work - WAN2 does not get an IP address.

But with this combo, WAN2 shows an IP address pretty much as soon as you connect it.

I'm trying to figure out how I can get Teltonika support to fix it.
by anonymous
That's what I got too. I also contacted Ubiquiti support and got the same conclusion. The guy ran some debug logs and showed me that if I connected the LB2120, the part where UDM Pro requested an IP and got it but if I connected the RUT240, it's like going into a black hole...nothing came back.

I've tried it with the new 7.0 firmware and it's the same result.