FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
549 views 9 comments
by anonymous

Hello,

does anyone have experience with loadbalancing on RUTX12 ?

After some testing, I have the following :

• SIM1 : 70/16 Mb/s
  • SIM2 : 75/15 Mb/s
  • 1+2 : 81/35 Mb/s

Testing : iperf 1 computer multiple streams, iperf multiple computer multiple streams, http/torrent download on multiple PC.

Config : loadbalancing 50/50

Result : The total bandwidth barely reach 1SIM capability no matter what. I waw expecting at least that 2 streams could get close to 1SIM capability each.

What surprise me is that upload seems to be "well" aggregated while download is disapointing. I could even get "better" result in failover mode.

Is there any way to pump those number ? Any explaination ?

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous
Hello,

Load balancing does not mean that you are automatically combining both SIM card speeds. Load balancing is a way of distributing traffic over multiple connections. It does not bond the connections together but distributes the available resources among clients and connections.

You could read more about that here: https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/LTE_Bonding_vs_Load_Balancing

Regards.
by anonymous
Thanks for the reply.

Sure, I saw that post, but as far as I have 2x ~70Mb/s available, doesn't that mean that the total speed I get from 2, 5, 10 concurent flux should get closer to ~140Mb/s  (ie. 30 + 30 + 30 + 30 ...) ? At least that's how it is pictured in the post.

For now, I couldn't get more that 1SIM +/- 10% capabilities no mater how much stream I started. And every time I start a new stream, the rest of them always lower to reach a total of ~1SIM capabilities.

It seems to be working on the upload size though.

On what basis do the RUTX do balance ? ip, port, application ?
by anonymous
Hello,

Maybe the downstream limitation comes from the cell tower transmission hardware. Would it be possible to see the Status->Network->Mobile information for each modem/SIM ?
And could you also show the output of "gsmctl -K" ?

Regards,
by anonymous

Hi,

Sure, here they are :

SIM1

SIM1

SIM2

SIM2

CLI

CLI

Thx for the following.

by anonymous
Too bad the Status->Network->Mobile doesn't give the cellid on your device, I was suspecting that both modems used the same cell and it was close to saturation.

Could you do a "gsmctl -K -O 1-1.2" and print the result ?
by anonymous
badly cropped, sorry. but Cell ID are different (21403399 & 21403396)

and about gsmctl, I will post it tomorrow as I don't have direct access to te device right now.
by anonymous

Here is the output:

root@xxx:~# gsmctl -K -O 1-1.2
+QENG: "servingcell","NOCONN","LTE","FDD",208,01,1469704,24,6400,20,3,3,9663,-52,-8,-28,19,-
Can you tell me more about the hashing algoritm used to select the outgoing interface in load balancing?
by anonymous
~70 Mb/s is not that bad on a LTE band 20/10 Mhz bandwith, albeit the the cells are not the same they are probably on the same BTS. Maybe you can have better results if you lock the SIM1 on LTE band 3 where you have 20 Mhz bandwith and SIM2 on band 20. Carrier aggregation won't help much here.

Regards,
by anonymous

Can you tell me more about the hashing algoritm used to select the outgoing interface in load balancing?

by anonymous
AFAIK it is just a percentage ratio.

Regards,