FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
2,652 views 7 comments
by anonymous
I have a few RUT240 devices with 4G simcards. The carrier uses NAT and a firewall, which means the routers are not reachable from the outside.

To fix this, I have a VPS server with (at the moment) an OpenVPN server installed. The RUT240's connect to this VPS through OpenVPN so I'm able to reach them, monitor them and configure them from a distance.

I noticed there's a WireGuard package available now and I was trying to recreate the system I have with OpenVPN with WireGuard. So the RUT240 should function as a client (like your laptop/smartphone) and connect to the central server.

However, the package that is available only seems to be a server, which can be used to connect other devices to the RUT240. I my case this isn't possible because it's not reachable from the outside and I need the exact opposite.

Am I right this is not possible at the moment? And are there plans to extend the WireGuard package to serve as client in the future?

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous
Hello,

Wireguard can act as client, I use it all the time. Go to Services->VPN->Wireguard, add a new configuration edit it with the pen icon, and there add a peer. The peer will be the server. Set the keys / Endpoint host and port etc.

If you need more details ...

Regards,
Best answer
by
I assumed so, but I cannot make it work. So I did Services->VPN->Wireguard and indeed added a new configuration.

There I hit the Generate button to create a Public/Private key, otherwise I could not add Peers.

After that I added a peer and entered the Preshared Key, Public Key, Allowd IPs (0.0.0.0/0) and Endpoint I got from the config file that was generated on my VPS server.

But it never performs a handshake.
by anonymous

I assumed so, but I cannot make it work. So I did Services->VPN->Wireguard and indeed added a new configuration.

There I hit the Generate button to create a Public/Private key, otherwise I could not add Peers.

After that I added a peer and entered the Preshared Key, Public Key, Allowd IPs (0.0.0.0/0) and Endpoint I got from the config file that was generated on my VPS server.

But it never performs a handshake.

I can load that same config file from the VPS server on my phone or laptop and succesfully connect, so the server does not seem to be the problem.

by anonymous
What is the output of "wg" on the device ?
by anonymous
The output looks like this:

root@xx:~# wg
interface: wg_vps
public key: xxxxxxxxxx
private key: (hidden)
listening port: 56183

peer: xxxxxxxx
preshared key: (hidden)
endpoint: SERVERIP:PORT
allowed ips: 0.0.0.0/0
by anonymous
Ok there is no "latest handshake" line associated with the peer something is amiss. Maybe the issue is with the key pair you have generated, could you try to replace them by the ones coming from the VPS server by editing /etc/config/network manually.
by anonymous

I made it work with manually editing it and checking 'Route allowed IPs'.
However I had to manually set a DNS server under WAN settings because I wasn't getting any DNS.

For now I will just stick to OpenVPN.

by anonymous
May you kindly share some further details, please?

I would like to connect my RUT240 to Cloudflare WARP+ (the free version) but apparently I'm not able to do so (maybe because I'm not able to obtain all the necessary config/data).