FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
210 views 3 comments
by anonymous
Hi

Just bought an external antenna, now the signal is much better 65 DB VS 96DB.

But... the data connection appears disconnected. I have restarted the modem without noticing any change.

Note that the modem worked fine regarding the data connection when the used antenna were the delivered ones.

Is there anything to change on the settings regarding an external antenna?

Looking forward at your reply.

Regards

Claude
by anonymous
Hi

I have finally managed to get the connection established but by forcing the service mode to 4G LTE only.

Despite a much better, it seems so, signal 65db vs 96DB the download rate is lower than before and now the upload rate is much better (3x faster), and appears even as better than the download.

May you point me whether what I did is not recommended or what would be useful to generate in terms of report to understand what's going on?

Regards

Claude

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

Regarding the issue, you are having may I know the details of the antenna you used?  Also, would it be possible to share a screenshot of the Mobile information to see the total mobile signal parameters? You can do that by navigating to Status > Network > Mobile 

Each parameter has different signal levels I recommend you checking this link so that you can compare what signal strength are you receiving from your ISP provider. Also, keep in mind that -65dBm you are receiving is an RSSI value where RSSI is computed in certain parameters like RSRP, RSRQ, and SINR.

Mobile Signal Strength Recommendations - Teltonika Networks Wiki (teltonika-networks.com)

Let me know the results

Regards,
Mellow

by anonymous

Hello,

The external antenna is: LowcostMobile RAD5G-ULTRA-7003800 10,5dbi 4G LTE 5G

Now the last antenna settings gives a signal range of 55db up to 61db max. 

RSRP=  -90dBM
RSRQ= -8db
SINR= 23.3 db

It seems that the load of the LTE access point might explain why the download issue. In the meanwhile the download rate increased to get something acceptable.

I have another problem some other people face, every days the data connection drops once and only rebooting the modem allows to revert it. The button "Restart connection" remains without effect... I always need to reboot manually (by requesting it via the interface)  the modem.

1) What causes the drop of the data connection?

2) Is there any way to reboot the modem in an automated way in case the data connection drop and is not reverted

Do you know how to determine whether the LTE access point would support 4G+?

But I assume that the RUT950 can only handle 4G.

Looking forward to your reply

by anonymous

Hi, 

For the questions you are asking kindly refer below for the answers:

1) What causes the drop of the data connection?
-> Actually there are a lot of options and variables that can affect LTE Speed and LTE connection issues. Kindly refer to this link for more information:  LTE Speed Discrepancies - Teltonika Networks Wiki (teltonika-networks.com)

2) Is there any way to reboot the modem in an automated way in case the data connection drop and is not reverted
-> For this option, you can configure Ping Reboot functionality by navigating through Services > Auto Reboot of the Web UI of the router. From there you can configure Ping reboot where the action will be Modem restart when ping fails to Google DNS 8.8.4.4.  Kindly refer to this link for more information: RUT950 Auto Reboot - Teltonika Networks Wiki (teltonika-networks.com)

Lastly, RUT950 only supports LTE Cat 4 (4G) and if you are looking for 4G+ you are referring to LTE-A (CAT 6) carrier aggregation is implemented in this LTE module. If you want this functionality you need to use the RUTX series (RUT360, RUTX11, RUTX12, or RUTX09 for LTE routers) 

You can check these links for the datasheet for the RUT devices having LTE-A CAT 6: 
RUTX09 (teltonika-networks.com)
RUTX11 (teltonika-networks.com)
RUTX12 (teltonika-networks.com)
RUTXR1 (teltonika-networks.com)
RUT360 (teltonika-networks.com)

I hope it clarifies your questions

Regards,
Mellow