FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
747 views 14 comments
by anonymous
Running make menuconfig for the SDK (RUTX_R_GPL_00.02.06.1.tar.gz) on a pristine Ubuntu 16.04 machine results in a failure where the file libncursesw.so.6 cannot be found.  All of the packages listed in the instructions were successfully installed. This particular file does not appear to be available in a Ubuntu package.

I am following the "RUTX Software Development Kit instructions" found at https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/RUTX_Software_Development_Kit_instructions

The 'make' command completes successfully, but the make menuconfig command fails almost immediately.

Here are the commands required to recreate the failure:

tar -xf RUTX_R_GPL_00.02.06.1.tar.gz
cd openwrt-gpl-ipq40xx-generic.Linux-x86_64

make menuconfig

This results in the following error:
scripts/config/mconf: error while loading shared libraries: libncursesw.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/home/stsuser/openwrt-gpl-ipq40xx-generic.Linux-x86_64/include/toplevel.mk:145: recipe for target 'menuconfig' failed

I did find the source code for libncursesw.so.6, but once that was installed, make menuconfig threw other errors complaining about the GLIBC version on the Ubuntu machine.

As mentioned, this is a pristine Ubuntu 16.04 installation on AWS spun up for this purpose.

Any suggestions?

jw

1 Answer

+1 vote
by anonymous

Hello,

The SDK ships with precompiled files, just remove them:

tar -xf RUTX_R_GPL_00.02.06.1.tar.gz
cd openwrt-gpl-ipq40xx-generic.Linux-x86_64
cd scripts/config ; rm *.o conf; cd ../../

You should be able to run make menuconfig after that.

Regards,

Best answer
by anonymous
Yes, that did the trick.  make menuconfig now starts up successfully.

Thanks for the speedy response.

jw
by anonymous

Hi Flebourse,

I too am having this issue but removed those files and then i get this problem.

The make menuconfig does not start.

This is VM running Ubuntu 16.04

I really need to get the SDK working as you have suggested in your other posts.

Thanks

by anonymous

Never seen that. Could you look at the coredump ?

file core.*
gdb executable_from_cmd_above core.xxx
bt

What  is the output of 'ulimit -a' ?

Regards,

by anonymous

Not sure what is going on. This is a fresh install of Ubuntu 16.04.

This is the issue now. I am tying to run this now from the SSH interface

ubuntu@ubuntu1604:~/RUTX_R/openwrt-gpl-ipq40xx-generic.Linux-x86_64$ sudo make menuconf -j1 V=s

WARNING: Makefile 'package/configdb/Makefile' has a build dependency on 'common', which does not exist

WARNING: Makefile 'package/diag/Makefile' has a build dependency on 'common', which does not exist

WARNING: Makefile 'package/dsutils/Makefile' has a build dependency on 'common', which does not exist

WARNING: Makefile 'package/mcm-core/Makefile' has a build dependency on 'common', which does not exist

WARNING: Makefile 'package/qmi-client-helper/Makefile' has a build dependency on 'common', which does not exist

WARNING: Makefile 'package/qmuxd/Makefile' has a build dependency on 'common', which does not exist

WARNING: Makefile 'package/xmllib/Makefile' has a build dependency on 'common', which does not exist

make[1]: Entering directory '/home/ubuntu/RUTX_R/openwrt-gpl-ipq40xx-generic.Linux-x86_64'

make[1]: *** No rule to make target 'menuconf'.  Stop.

make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/ubuntu/RUTX_R/openwrt-gpl-ipq40xx-generic.Linux-x86_64'

/home/ubuntu/RUTX_R/openwrt-gpl-ipq40xx-generic.Linux-x86_64/include/toplevel.mk:229: recipe for target 'menuconf' failed

make: *** [menuconf] Error 2

ubuntu@ubuntu1604:~/RUTX_R/openwrt-gpl-ipq40xx-generic.Linux-x86_64$

This is following removing the files that you previously mentioned.
Thanks
by anonymous
You can ignore the dependency warning on 'common', it can be fixed but this brings nothing.

The command is 'make menuconfig' not menuconf, and you shouldn't use sudo.

Afterthought: if you have used sudo before you probably have residual files with wrong permissions better to restart with a clean state. And the build *must* be done as a non-root user.

Regards,
by anonymous
Hi Flebourse,

Good pickup it was being typed wrong. However i gave up on running this through VMware player and created a Ubuntu instance in the cloud. I followed the steps and menuconfig is now working. It might have been a resourcing issue.

Thanks again for your help
by anonymous
Yes, probably not enough memory.
by anonymous
Actually, i realised that i installed the wrong SDK. I installed SDK for RUT9XX but the interesting thing is that it loaded. So i think there is an issue still with the SDK for RUTX.

I found a link to an old SDK:

https://community.teltonika-networks.com/27279/rutx11-download-sdk-rutx_r_gpl_00-02-05-2-tar-gz?show=27279#q27279

And this one seems to be fine and i can load the menuconfig.

My question is once you select the KMOD-IP-VTI (or any other) package in the menuconfig. How do you create the new firmware with that package included. Do you just use "make'? or do you need to follow the steps to compile the package then add this file through OPKG.
by anonymous

This SDK is for an old version, better to use this one: https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/gpl/RUTX_R_GPL_00.02.06.1.tar.gz

You have to execute "make" to build the full images and / or optional packages the results will be in bin/targets/ipq40xx for the firmware and bin/targets/ipq40xx/packages for the optional ones.

Here things become a little scary you have to upgrade using the openwrt-ipq40xx-generic-teltonika_rutx-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin file and after a reboot copy and install your optional kmod-ip-vti_4.14.195-1_arm_cortex-a7_neon-vfpv4.ipk.

It is simpler to include the kernel module in the firmware image (use '*' instead of 'M'), then you won't need to add the ipk manually.

Even if you build the correct ipk you won't be able to install it without reflashing the full image because the kernel hashes won't match.

Regards,

by anonymous
thanks,

so after running menuconfig and adding * beside package you want install. Do you save that as a new .config file? Then "make"?
by anonymous
Yes save and make.
by anonymous
You can also reflash the router using bin/targets/ipq40xx/generic/tltFws/RUTX_R_GPL_00.02.06.1_WEBUI.bin it is the same file as openwrt-ipq40xx-generic-teltonika_rutx-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin not sure if the name will change anything.
by anonymous
it asks for you to name the .conf file when saving. Is this irrevelant? Just give it any name and this not required when you make?
by anonymous

ok sorry just exit dont save the file. Got it. thanks. It asks you to save when you are exiting.