FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
417 views 7 comments
by anonymous
Hello everyone,
I got myself a TRB142 to remotely access a USB Port via the RS232 interface. Now my problem is I am not so sophisticated with ports and IP adresses etc. and I am not able so send a single thing to my RS232 interface. Can someone please help?
Greetings
Lukas

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

Regarding this inquiry of yours, I would like to know what are you trying to reach via RS232 of the TRB142. 

Also, this link may help you to get more information on what options does TRB142 RS232 have: TRB142 RS232 - Teltonika Networks Wiki (teltonika-networks.com)

As for reference here is an example of Over IP scenario: https://mega.nz/file/uhl2FCRC#q6p0jkwXYNiomha1qIFypDotLG9YQBfWyWGAbsUYTLk

Regards,
Mellow

by anonymous
Hello Mellow,

thank you for that fast response!

I am trying to reach a USB Stick which is fully programmable thus I don't care what is send to my RS232 it could be literally everything. So is there any button in RMS that sends something to the RS232?

Also the TRB142 is displayed as offline in RMS and I don't know why. It has a power supply, LEDs are on and it got 3 LEDs concerning the quality of connection. SIM Card is installed. That's probably the first thing we should work on.

Regards,
Lukas
by anonymous
Hi Lukas,

Regarding any button to send to RS232 via RMS, I believe there is non for this RS232 functionality is having the different modes (Console, Modem, Over IP, and Modbus Gateway) it will vary on the configuration you are using. So it is best to finalize things from your side what are you trying to do rather than giving broad answers. There should be a TCP/IP port to which the RS232 device is listening in order for you to reach the connected device Over IP.

If your TRB142 device is connected to RMS successfully it should show offline as default there is a 1-month free subscription for RMS when the device finished the one-month duration you need to buy RMS credit to make it active again.

Regards,
Mellow
by anonymous

Hi Mellow,

you're right I should have been more precise from the beginning. I am sorry for that I haven't written that many forum questions yet. So the things I have are:

• A PC with a software tool usually used to communicate with products of our company nearby (radius ~30m)
  • This software uses a special RF-USB Stick with the frequency 2.4GHz
  • The TRB142 

So the thing is, we have a lab like 150km away (>than our RF range) my idea was the following: I have the PC with the software in the office and the TRB142 with our Stick in the lab. So the "communication chain" would be:

PC --> TRB142 --> RS232 --> USB-Stick --> Device

the stick is capable of transforming the Device data into letters or anything, so we can send letters numbers or whatever so that was what I meant. 

Concerning the subscription to RMS: We are still within this 1-month free trail. The RMS just says the device is offline.

Regards,

Lukas

by anonymous
Hi Lukas,

So in short the PC is communicating to the USB stick with software. Do you know what port it is using to communicate to the USB stick because you need this port in order to communicate to the USB stick remotely. Also doing this method you will need a Public IP address in order to reach the other TRB device on a different site. Or if you don't have a Public IP address you need like to have a VPN network available.

For the RMS connection make sure the TRB142 device is having network connecitivty.

Regards,
Mellow
by anonymous
Hi Mellow,

how do I find out which port the stick is using (edit: u mean the USB Port? That would be Port 3)? And how do I generate a public IP address?
I am sorry for my questions but I don't have a clue.

Concerning the RMS connection, don't the LEDs indicate the connection?

Regards,
Lukas
by anonymous
Hi Lukas,

how do I find out which port the stick is using (edit: u mean the USB Port? That would be Port 3)?

- Nope, I am pointing out the TCP port that your device is using let say as an example

And how do I generate a public IP address?

- This one is given by your ISP provider / Sim card provider so you can try communicating it with them.

Concerning the RMS connection, don't the LEDs indicate the connection?

- The LEDs indicate the signal quality you are receiving.  You can check if the device is having network connectivity when you tried accessing the website via the browser that is when you are connected to the TRB142 via USB (micro to USB type A).

I hope it helps.

Regards,
Mellow
by anonymous
Hi Mellow,

so I found out what a TCP Port is :)! Now I am working on finding out what the explicit port is.

I'm in contact with the SIM provider to get the IP address (edit: Is it the IP address found when opening 192.168.2.1?).

Having checked the connection, I can safely say the device is connected to the internet but not to the RMS.

Yes it is helping, thank u for everything so far!

Regards,
Lukas