FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
856 views 5 comments
by anonymous
Hello all,

I have a generator that has the ability to be monitored and controlled using modbus over RS485 connection.

Could I please have some assistance with setting this up?

The router is connected to the generator controller using the RS485 port.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Daniel
by anonymous
Did you ever figure this out? i too am looking at the similer setup

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous
Hi,

Could you tell me what exactly are you willing to do?

Basic configuration of RS485 could be found explained here:

https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/RUT955_RS232/RS485#RS485

It is important to set it up to your device connected to RS485, baud rate, parity - everything should be identical.

Console mode should be the right choice if you're hoping to control it.

Also, this OpenWRT wiki might also help you on how to connect to the console of your device:

https://openwrt.org/docs/techref/hardware/port.serial

EB.
by anonymous
Thankyou for your reply.

I have a Kohler diesel generator that has a ComAp inteliSys NTC control system in it that I need to monitor and control remotely via a custom SCADA system.

The ComAp controller does have a propriatary monitoting system available but this application will not be suited to using the included WebSupervisor system.

I have an RUT955 router that I have installed an openVPN client on that I have tested and works perfectly. I mean I can directly connect to the RUT955 router using the ip adress that I have assigned to the router.

For testing purposes I have connected the intelisys controller to the router via their respective ethernet ports and successfully setup and tested modbus communications over tcp/ip. I used MODBUS Doctor to test the comms link over the vpn connection and directly using the wifi service sucessfully. This was only a test to see how it worked if an application arises that it suits.

For the next test, I connected the RS485 comms port on the intelisys to the RS485 port on the RUT955, refer below...
by anonymous

The next part is the setup of the RUT955.

I just cant work out the RUT side of things...

What options do I select for all of the below settings??

I tried to use the wiki RS485 help page but every time the manual mentions "device", im not sure if it is refering to the router as the device, or the comap generator controller as the device in reference to client and server options?

And do I need to set up anything in the interface section at the bottom of the page?

by anonymous

Hope this helps you to help me.

Thanks,

Daniel

by anonymous
Hi,

Over IP mode is for reaching out to your RS485 device via the IP that is given to your device on WAN.

So to successfully use it in your use case you must choose the server option and set baud rate, flow control and other settings depending on your RS485 device, not the router.

Once you've done everything, you should be able to access the RS485 device through the Public IP of the RUT955 modem.

EB.