FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
299 views 0 comments
by anonymous

Failed to connect a Fritz!600 WLAN Repeater to a RUT240. 

Even though the wizard completed the configuration as described (Manual - german) the repeater did not connect to RUT240, was not listed in the network events of RUT240  

How to manage it? Anybody succeded with a similar use case?

2 Answers

0 votes
by anonymous

Hi,

Could you please tell me what exact steps did you take? I see that the Fritz repeater is trying to push WPS connecting method, but it will not work with our devices. If you tried some exact steps - I would want to know them.

Also, make sure both devices are up to date.

You can also try using logread -f command in RUT240 CLI to see if anything is happening when you try to connect fritz repeater. If in the end RUT240 doesn't show anything related to WiFi it might be the fritz issue.

EB.

0 votes
by anonymous

Hi EB

Thank's for your answer. I'm trying to describe exactly what steps I did take:

I did what AVM Manual describes as method (2) "manual configuration if the WLAN Router does not support WPS":

• - Set Fritz to initial state
  • - Connecting the PC with the Fritz Net "FRITZ!Repeater [...]"
  • - Opening http://fritz.repeater (192.168.178.2)
  • - Set an admin password
  • - Connect with admin password
  • - Choose option WLAN-Bridge (there is no other option at this point)
  • - choose the SSID of the RUT240
  • - choose WPA2 method and set the Key
  • - configuration confirmed by Fritz (see attachment Screenshot 2021-07-27 094659)
  • - The Fritz LED should then turn to stable green
  • - But Fritz is starting to blink (fast/green), which says "try to connect"
  • - after a short while it turns to blink orange, which says "bad connection" (recommend to put the Fritz closer to the router)
  • - Looking in RUT240 admin console there are no other devices listed as "connected" except of my PC and my smartphone

I tried two times, with the same result. The first time Fritz was about 2m away, the second time 1m distance to the RUT240, so there's no chance to go closer. 

Then I tried with another Router, a Zyxel P-870HN-51b (which used to be at that place the router before I put the RUT240); the same behaviour of the Fritz as with RUT240.

Then I checked with AVM Support, their answer was it must be a router configuration issue as eg a MAC Blacklist or whatever, because the Fritz seems to work as designed.

I checked MAC list configuration at RUT240, it's disabled.

I searched for any other options, but there are so many configuration options, and my understanding of network to low, I didn't find out what do. I searched for help in the RUT240 User Manual but was overwhelmed. So I did not change anything in the RUT240 configuration.

I upgraded the RUT Firmware to latest version. The firmware of the repeater is up to date.

I tried again to configure Fritz after RUT firmware upgrade, with no better result.

Then I had to leave the place, where the RUT is; I took the Fritz with me at my home. There  I did reset the Fritz again and tried to connect with the router at my home, which is a product was given by my internet service provider. Same procedure as written above, but this time it worked perfectly. Means, after finishing Fritz configuration, it immediately stayed "green", was listed as "wifi-bridge" in the routers console, and appeared as a Fritz Repeater in the Fritz! WLAN app. So at least it is proved that Fritz may connect with some devices.

I am an IT professional, but not at all a network professional, so maybe I missed something which would be clear to somebody like you; I'm glad for any advice and hope it will lead to success in the end.

Eg your proposal "to try using logread -f command" would be a good idea. Unfortuneatly - as said - I'm not in same place with the RUT240 this moment an will only have the chance for new trials in several weeks. Therefore I try to collect knowledge now to be prepared for the next time.

If I would find out there is no possibility to connect Fritz and RUT, I'd try to return Fritz to the shop (where  I bought both devices) and try to find out another solution for the "real problem" that the RUT240 WiFi is not strong enough to reach each place of the house there. There is especially one corner of the house to be covered where I planned to put the repeater.

But if you'd say it must be possible to connect a RUT240 with any working WLAN Repeater, then it should also work with this Fritz and it's about to find out how.

corippo (Daniel)