FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
1,298 views 4 comments
by anonymous
Hi,

I have a RUT955 and i cant get my software to connect to my serial device over TCP/IP.

Apart from enabling the feature and setting the port in the USB TOOL addon, do i need to do anything else to make this port connected externally?

I have a public IP setup and its working and pinging the device i do get a return. No action on the specific port i am trying to connect through though.

Thanks for the help in advance

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

Thank you for provided information. By default, you cannot enable public share on the router, as it is considered not secure as you will be sharing your shared USB flash drive to the "world". But if you are ok with this, there is possibility to enable public share.

1. Connect USB flash drive to routers USB type A port.

2. Navigate to USB Tools section and enable network share (aka Samba). More information: https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/RUT955_USB_Tools#Network_Shares make sure to configure Shared Directories

3. Connect to the RUT955 via SSH and use the following commands:

- vi /etc/config/samba

Now by using arrows on your keyboard navigate to samba configuration, then press letter "i" on the keyboard to edit and make sure the configuration looks something like this:

config samba
        option name 'Router_share'
        option workgroup 'WORKGROUP'
        option description 'Router share'
        option homes '1'
        option enabled '1'
        option interface '<wan interface name>'

Where option interface make sure to use correct WAN interface. WAN interface name can be found by using command ifconfig.

Once finished editing, press "Esc" on keyboard and type :wq!

4. Restart samba service by using command /etc/init.d/samba restart

5. Connect to RUT955 WebUI, navigate to firewall settings and open new TCP port 445.

If everything done correctly, you should be able to access your shared USB folder over th internet.

Best regards,

by anonymous
Hi thanks,

I'm not trying to access a USB drive through. I'm trying to control an instrument that is plugged into the USB port.
by anonymous
Hello,

Can you please provide more details what device exactly you want to access remotely? How it would be connected to routers USB port? Via USB to USB cable? USB to Serial cable? Else?

Please, let me know.
by anonymous
Im trying to connect a serial device trimble s7 USB to serial cable.
by anonymous

Hello,

Thank you for the information, and what exactly access you would like to get? Maybe this one is what you are looking for: https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/RUT955_USB_Tools#Over_IP

Please, let me know.