FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
428 views 8 comments
by anonymous
Hey!

We are trying to scale up our operation and need to provision hundreds of Teltonika RUT240. Is there a way to automatically trigger tasks, e.g. when a device is added to RMS, or when a tag is assigned, or something similar? Like that, we could apply settings automatically and in a scalable way.

Thanks,

Carsten

2 Answers

+1 vote
by anonymous
Hello,

It really depends on what kind of actions do you want to trigger. There are limited automated actions that your router can perform once it becomes online. For example, you can upgrade firmware or upload backup automatically, once the router connects to RMS.

Regards.
by anonymous
Upload a backed-up configuration to the router automatically when it comes online is what I am primarily after. Could you give me a pointer towards info to make that happen? Highly appreciated.
by anonymous

Please follow this guide: https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/RMS_Actions_menu

This guide is a little bit outdated and the backup feature is missing there, but it works exactly the same as firmware upload.

Regards.

by anonymous
Thanks, I have seen the wiki page. Unfortunately, it describes how I can upload a backup by hand to one or more devices. However, I would like that to happen automatically, without the need for anybody to log into RMS and trigger such an update by hand.

Is the wiki page maybe outdated and does not contain the automation features that you mentioned?
by anonymous
Well, unfortunately, that is not possible. You need to select a list of devices and then select an action to perform. It does not work fully automatically at this moment. I misinterpreted your question and I apologize for that.

Regards.
by anonymous
That's a bummer, it would really help us out.

Could you kindly bring it forward as a suggestion to your dev team?
by anonymous
Good morning,

Sure, I will bring that up.

Regards.
0 votes
by anonymous
Depending upon details, there _MIGHT_ be the possibility to auto-configure a fleet of RUT240s using custom script(s).

A more drastic solution is the development of customized _official_ openwrt firmware image for the RUTs.

Did this already for a fleet of RUT955s.
by anonymous
Hey

At the moment we use scripts to put on the configuration and to add the device to RMS. It is not bullet proof and we would like to further reduce the amount of manual manipulation.

One way could be this, but it has its own problems: https://community.teltonika-networks.com/37324/getting-forbidden-for-devices-updates-set?show=37324#q37324
by anonymous
Client of mine dropped RMS completely, because of reliability. Because he has lot of special requirements regarding functionality of the RUT955 (comms with AWS IoT, local sensors connected via ModbusRTU, WiredWAN/WifiWAN/CellularWAN, msg queuing, wireguard etc.) we decided on doing everything from scratch using _standard_ openwrt. Auto-(re-)config of every deployed RUT955 from central DB in cloud. Other important reasons to use _official_ openwrt were vendor independence, and availability of latest/greatest software packages.