FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
99 views 2 comments
by anonymous
Dear community!

I see that TRB14* gateways are based on an architecture different from that of TRB2** ones ("ARM Cortex-A7" vs "Qualcomm QCA9531, MIPS 24kc"), but don't fully understand, why they have older Linux kernel versions than the latter ones (3.18 vs 4.14). What's the reason for this? Do Teltonika intent to release firmware for TRB14* gateways with newer Linux kernel versions?

Are TRB14* boards based on older and weaker chips than TRB2** gateways despite the more memory and higher clock frequecny? Aren't they supported by latest kernel releases anymore?

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous
Hello,

Kernel updates are planned with future firmware updates and they are currently in the works. It is difficult to update the kernel because with every single change there are lots of things to check and test. With the 7.1 release there will be minor updates to the kernel and with 7.2 there a plans to upgrade the kernel version much further.

Regards.
Best answer
by anonymous
Ah, thank you for your answer! So, basically, the only difference between the two product families is the more I/O ports (e.g. serial) on the TRB2** gateways? And how do their performances relate? The TRB 2** series' RAM and frequency are roughly half that of the TRB 14* series. Does this really mean that much lower performance, too?
by anonymous

Generally speaking, you are correct, but all these products were built for different types of preferences. Each customer looks for a different set of hardware specifications/features and we have provided various options. I would really like to recommend checking our compare feature on the Teltonika-Networks page: https://teltonika-networks.com/compare/?networking=trb140,trb141,trb245,trb255