FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
1,487 views 2 comments
by anonymous
Thank you in advance for your assistance.

TL;DR I love the RUTX11, but due to the location of the modem/router and other bandwidth monitoring needs, I need help (step-by-step) please to set up bridged mode to another router.

The long version:

I am already very happy with the RUTX11 (reliable internet at near-high speed internet levels of up to 33Mbps in a very rural area with typical speeds of 5-20Mbps, which is much faster than any other local offerings for the price). I have the RUTX11 mounted outside of our home above the peak of the roof inside of the omnidirectional antenna enclosure, and then the CAT5e that came with the kit running to my Power Over Ethernet power brick inside our home.

The WiFi works great outdoors, but inside of the home it understandably has a difficult time penetrating with both 2.4 and 5.0 and typical speeds drop to 0.5-2.5 Mbps. To help solve this, I purchased a router RT-AX68U which has enhanced (traditional) QoS capabilities that allows me to set specific limits on the available bandwidth by MAC address and/or IP address of the connected devices (definitely need this with streaming content hungry children here).

I wish to connect this router to the RUTX11 and place the RUTX11 into BRIDGED mode and not use the router in AP mode (and also instead of IP passthrough to avoid issues with potential double NAT or DHCP). How is this best achieved? The only two Network Interfaces that are running on the RUTX11 are "LAN," with "Protocol: Static" and DHCP enabled, and the other interface is "MOB1AS1" for the AT&T sim. Do I need to change any settings on the "LAN" interface or anywhere else, or can I jump straight to configuring the Network Interface "MOB1AS1" mobile mode from "NAT" to "Bridge" and will be good to go with this one change? From researching other similar solutions with traditional ISP modem/router gateways there seem to be other steps. Is there anything else I need to be aware of?

Thank you very much in advance for any assistance and I hope to get the most out of this great RUTX11!

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous
Hello, you can enable bridge mode by following the instructions - https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/RUTX11_WAN#Bridge_mode

In this case, RUTX11 will become "transparent" and assign the ip received from the ISP to the WAN port of the router behind it. The DHCP client must be enabled on your RT-AC68U on the WAN interface.

p.s. In my opinion, it was possible to do otherwise and simply add a remote (possibly directional) outdoor antenna to the RUTX11. Leaving the router indoors for a good wi-fi signal strength.
by anonymous
Thank you for the reply. I had already navigated to the appropriate wiki. I see now that I should rephrase the question:

Can I just go ahead and change the Network Interface "MOB1AS1" mobile mode from "NAT" to "Bridge" and that's all I have to do, or do I need to first change the "LAN" Network Interface (such as disabling DHCP, or any other changes, and then change MOB1AS1?)

My concern is if I do one and not the other (if both or additional steps are required) that I brick the device or at least have to reset everything and try again.

Thank you again in advance for assistance.

P.S. Yes, I agree that an external antenna with simply a cable running from the antenna to inside the home to the RUTX11 would be a better option, but the way I received it from the reseller I installed just as received since they "warranty" the item.
by anonymous
Simply enabling Bridge mode DHCP will stop working. By connecting multiple devices to the RUTX11 LAN ports, the IP address is assigned only to the first connected device. And this ip will not be from the DHCP pool, but forwarded from the WAN interface from the mobile ISP.

In fact, nothing terrible will happen. You will not be able to break or lock the device with these actions. But perhaps to access the Web UI, you will have to manually assign a static ip on the computer's network interface.

Regards.