FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
1,021 views 3 comments
by anonymous
I am considering installing a RUT950.

Once installed, I will be managing it remotely across the internet.  The RUT950 will only connect to the internet using mobile 4G (SIM) services.  I already have a working downstream OpenVPN tunnel which will route into the RUT950's LAN.  OpenVPN will using the RUT950's WAN connection for the tunnel.  I say this because that will provide me HTTP access to the RUT950.

But my question is that I would like to manually switch from one SIM to another.  Don't really want to use failover unless thats the only way.  How would I do this.  Maybe using the RUT950's web interface or maybe using SMS commands.  I appreciate that only one SIM at a time can be used so maybe I would switch the SIM and then reboot.  We call this kind of thing "Doing the Wile E. Coyote (as in the Road Runner!!!) - in other words because you are using the same connection,  you set it all up, reboot and hope it comes back the way you expect.   

Your advice will be appreciated

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

Thanks for contacting TELTONIKA | Crowd-support forum. 

Kindly be informed that you can switch from one SIM to another using either WebUI or CLI.

WebUI manner:

Enter in your router’s WebUI, go to Network > Mobile > SIM card setting and enable or disable Default SIM field then click on the button save and apply.

More information can be found here:

In order to check which the SIM slot is active, go to Network > Mobile > Network Operator

CLI manner:

Sets the 2nd SIM slot as the default one.

- uci  set simcard.@sim[0].primary=’0’

- uci  set simcard.@sim[1].primary=’1’

- uci commit

- luci-reload

Sets the 1st SIM slot as the default one.

- uci  set simcard.@sim[0].primary=’1’

- uci  set simcard.@sim[1].primary=’0’

- uci commit

- luci-reload

Additionally, you can use Mobile utilities UCI API to set the primary SIM slot.

Should you need any additional information please let us know.

Best Regards

by anonymous
Thanks, that is very helpful.

But it doesn't completely answer my problem.  I am in the UK and the remote system is in Spain.  At the moment, I am using a "single SIM router" and a UK contract (roaming). We are being threatened by all the UK mobile service providers that our data will either be terminated or "loaded" if we continue to roam.  They expect us to use a local SIM contract but, not being a Spanish resident, I am finding it difficult to buy a local contract.  For this reason and during these uncertain times, I would like a router with dual SIMs.

So, although I could use the two methods you have outlined, it may be that my data service on a particular SIM may fail due to the service provider terminating the data service.  If they did this, I think it is likely that they would still allow SMS messages over that service.

In this case, your failover feature might switch SIMs for me but if it didn't, is it possible to "switch SIMs" using SMS?
by anonymous

Hello,

Please note that RUT950 is able to switch automatically from one SIM card to another, if one of the following conditions occurred:

On weak signal, On data limit, On SMS limit, On roaming, No network, On network denied, On data connection fail.

RUT950 has 3 WAN interfaces: Ethernet WAN, Mobile WAN, Wireless WAN. The Failover function allows you to back up your primary WAN connection in case it goes down.

On the other hand, it is possible to switch from one SIM card to another by using SMS.

The SMS Utilities section contains a list of rules that perform certain actions when they are activated by SMS messages.

Enter in your router’s WebUI, go to SERVICES > MOBILE UTILITIES and enable SIM switch action, The authorization method set by default is ‘router admin password’

To execute an SMS rule, send an SMS message to your device's SIM card number with the rule's SMS Text (switch-sim) preceded by the selected authorization keyword, which depends on the selected authorization method:

< router’s password> <TEXT>

xxxxx  switch_sim

Should you need any additional information please let us know.

Best Regards

by anonymous
Thanks again - that answers my queries - really helpful