FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
+1 vote
852 views 5 comments
by anonymous

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have an RUTX11 running version RUTX_R_00.07.01. I am unable to find clarification in FAQ or Wiki manual.

In a critical environment but careful of inflating data costs, the objective is to have cabled internet on WAN reverting to SIM 1 in case of WAN failure. In case of SIM 1 failure the objective is to revert to SIM 2. Then reverting back to WAN/SIM1 as they become available.

So far I have been able to manually test switchover by unplugging the WAN ethernet RJ45 and observing that SIM 1 takes the load (this seems to work without selecting any of the interfaces within the FAILOVER menu, merely relying on the top down heirarchy within the INTERFACES menu). I can then in NETWORK/MOBILE/GENERAL manually switch the default SIM from SIM 1 to SIM 2 to test performance of both networks. As I do this I can see the SIM 1 LED and SIM 2 LEDs toggle on and off depending on which SIM is under load whilst monitoring SIM status in the INTERFACES menu.

I now wish to do this automatically. Since there is only one modem in the RUTX11 and from reading the FAQ I learn that I first need to enable automatic SIM switching in the NETWORK/MOBILE/SIM SWITCH menu and select a criteria for switching such as 'no network'.

So in applying this to SIM 1 only, and clicking SAVE & APPLY, when SIM 1 has 'no network' the modem should then switch to SIM 2 I believe? When then operating on SIM 2 and if the service were to resume on SIM 1 the questions I have include:-

1.  does the modem automatically switch back to SIM 1 or will it remain latched on SIM 2?

2. or would automatic switching need to be enabled on SIM 2 in the same NETWORK/MOBILE/SIM SWITCH menu to allow the modem to switch back to SIM 1?

This leaves me wondering whether auto-switching should be enabled on both SIMS so they automatically toggle back and forth depending on the switching criteria applied to each network?

I have tried applying auto-switch to SIM 1 and then note that both SIM LEDs are illuminated. Should this be expected? Similarly I have applied auto-switch to SIM 1 and 2 and again both SIM LEDS are illuminated. When then removing auto-switch on both SIMS and reverting to manual I am left with both LEDs illuminated?  I had to power down the unit, withdraw the SIM cards and remount them for the unit to revert back to toggling between the SIM LEDs as experienced before exploring the auto switch modes.

Sorry this is so lengthy. Assistance much appreciated as I'm getting confused between the menus, specifically SIM auto-switching, interface heirarchy, failover and the effect on SIM LEDs.

Thanks,

3 Answers

0 votes
by anonymous

As you have seen in the above pic, failover has to be selected and the interface has to be switched on. The main interface and failover sequence can be adjusted by dragging the main interface to the top and henceforth. Once this is done the connection will always switch to the next when the previous one fails, and if the interface above comes back online it switches to it automatically. You can also configure other parameters required for switching in the pencil icon.

Happy Networking.....!!

by anonymous
Can you make an example which interface has to be switched on, on the failover config site.

If I want to use WAN and SIM1 as failover. Can you make a screenshot of this exact config?

Thanks!
by anonymous

So if WAN is the main and SIM1 is the failover, kindly follow the below configuration.

Here mob1s1a1 is the SIM1. Saving this should make SIM1 as failover and we have the options for multiple failover.

Please note that the interface with the lowest matric value is the primary WAN and the next value is the failover. It can be changed by simply clicking & dragging the interface above in the same page.

Hope this helps...!! 

by anonymous
Thank you!

So what does that on/off button mean?

I don't understand. In picture 1 it is off for SIM1 ind picture 2 it is on?
by anonymous
Its to switch on the interface, so in Pic 1 we switched it ON and saved it. The reason for Pic 2 was to show that it turns "online".

Sorry for the unintended confusion.
0 votes
by anonymous

So whicht do I have to turn on.

And what does it mean to turn on or off? If it is on, it's used for Failover or not? Or completely on/off?

Whats the difference between on/off on the interfaces page?

And what do I have to select in "Flush connections on"?

by anonymous

Please find the configuration below,

The On/Off in the failover page should be "ON" as it denotes that it is ready to act as failover

But in the Networks>Interfaces page "On/Off" denotes whether to switch On or Off the whole interface.

Regards

+1 vote
by anonymous
Okay and do I have to turn on both interfaces on the failover page or only the one that acts as failover or only the main one.

It is super confusing what on/off and the change of order means.

When I turn a interface completly off I still can turn it on for failover?!