FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
247 views 1 comments
by anonymous
Basic user - sorry for lack of ability to explain myself!

I use a RUTX11 which I take the WAN from my office router TP-LINK AC-1200.

All my devices are on the standard / default DCHP network on the RUTX11. I only use the TP-LINK to provide internet and fail over to mobile. My subnet on the RUTX11 is 192.168.30.xxx

I am trying to stream to a device on the 192.168.30.xxx network from outside for which I need to use port forwarding. I understand roughly how this works but on the TP-LINK I can only port forward to a device on its 192.168.1.xxx network - it doesn't accept the 192.168.30.xxx network as a valid location which is where the device is.

Do i need to forward this on twice? As in when the RUTX11 connects to the TP-LINK does it then have a port? I expect this is a basic networking question but any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry and thanks!

Dan
by anonymous
Hi Jerome.

Thank so much for your answer to my question. After composing a long-winded reply with many screen grabs (which I no longer need) I did, through the process of writing the reply, solve the problem! I was unsure at first if I was being assigned an external port for the 2nd router (RUTX11) and so was using port 24 - thinking the /24 on the end of the IP address it had been assigned by Router 1 (TP-LINK) was the external port.

I went back and made up a new port instead.

I also noticed on Router 1 port-forwarding setting I have to use "TCP or UDP" as the protocol (called "All" in the drop down selection). I applied this to Router 2 port-forwarding setting too. It seems that the streaming protocol (SRT/RTMP etc) are insignificant.

So all in all I thank you for your help in helping me solve this :)

Many thanks to you and all who often help me with my issues.

Dan

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello, 

Based on what you have shared you are connecting TP-Link AC1200 to the RUTX11 so in this case, the connection would be like this: 

TP-Link Router LAN port <------Connected------> RUTX11 WAN Port.

Now for you to access the device behind the routers you should configure two port-forwarding rules for this. One rule on TP-Link and another one on RUTX11. Let's say you are having a WAN IP address on RUTX11 assigned by the TP-Link router "192.168.1.100" so in the TP-link router the port-forwarding rule must be pointing to that 192.168.1.100 IP address. Then another rule will be on RUTX11 pointing to the connected device having the LAN Network 192.168.30.X IP. 

For more details about port-forwarding and an example for it kindly refer to these links:

Port Forwarding - Teltonika Networks Wiki (teltonika-networks.com)
Camera Access via Public IP - Teltonika Networks Wiki (teltonika-networks.com)

I hope this helps. 

Regards,
Jerome