FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
+3 votes
1,000 views 8 comments
by anonymous

Hi,

I have a legacy-design RUT950 (RUT950 *G1***).

The problem I'm having with the device is that when mobile configuration is changed/applied then the modem is not responding any more - AT commands sent to the modem using gsmctl utility are timed out. The modem only starts responding after it is restarted.

As far as I can tell the problem is present starting with FW RUT9XX_R_00.06.07 and it is also present in latest FW (RUT9XX_R_00.06.08.6) so I can only guess this hasn't been fixed. 

Can anybody confirm this? My modem is Telit LE910-EU V2 with FW (20.00.402)

I have tried to flash/erase RUT950 FW many times (also using the bootloader menu) and the problem remains so please don't suggest that.

by anonymous

I think this issue is somehow related to NCM connection mode. I have checked that ncm.sh script has changed since FW 06.06.1.

Perhaps Teltonika developers can confirm whether this is true or not. 

by anonymous
Has there been any update on this from Teltonika? I also have an older RUT950 and with the latest firmware I can install I'm having bad issues with timeouts. The modem regularly goes to "Timeout" and NA in the status overview. Redoing initial configuration (running the assistant) seems to fix it for a short period of time. I'm guessing it starts working again when a new config is pushed.

I'm using the RUT950 to control heating and stuff in my cabin, so it's a real bother since it also can't be rebooted remotely.
by anonymous
There have been a few fw updates since I first made this post but they did not seem to fix the timeout issues I was having.

I think the best you can do is try to use auto or periodic reboot as Teltonika does not seem to care about this legacy device anymore.
by anonymous

Hello,

These days legacy firmware mainly receives updates related to hardware changes or critical security patches. 

I could check a troubleshoot file from your device if you sent me one in a private message for possible issues. Please, replicate the issue, then access router's WebUI, go to System -> Administration -> Troubleshoot section and download troubleshoot file from there. The logs in the file might provide more insight into the issue.

Best regards,

2 Answers

0 votes
by anonymous

Hi,

I will be checking on this. Meanwhile, may I know what kind of changes did you make to the mobile configuration before router becomes unresponsive? And, please share troubleshoot file of the router as well.

On the other hand, is it possible for you to update FW to our latest version?. If there is indeed something wrong with the device, it should have been fixed by our Rutos firmware version.

by anonymous

Hi,

The only changes I did to the configuration after factory reset was to disable WiFi, configure mobile as main WAN (Network>WAN) and then set APN and service mode to LTE only and hit apply - although it doesn't matter if any of these mobile settings are changed or not because after hitting apply modem does not respond to at commands any more (can be seen when monitoring the device with logread -f). I did try upgrading to latest firmware (only legacy FW is supported on my device) without any success.

Here is copy-paste from the post I made to another topic about a similar issue:

https://community.teltonika-networks.com/44081/modem-disconnection-problem

=========

I did not quite find the solution to my problem - all I know is that starting from FW RUT9XX_R_00.06.07 to the latest FW available the communication with the modem becomes unstable. I'm using logread -f in console to monitor the device and from there it can be seen that the modem is not responding to AT commands (it seems to hang after command AT#NCM=1,1 is sent to the modem) and is unable to recover from this:

10:53:12 2021 daemon.notice netifd: ppp (18978): Connecting modem

10:53:12 2021 local1.info gsmd[17812]: gsmd send: 'AT#NCM=1,1' (11)

10:53:12 2021 local1.info gsmd[17812]: gsmd get: 'OK' (2)

10 10:53:12 2021 daemon.notice netifd: ppp (18978): OK

10 10:53:18 2021 user.notice NCM.SH: ppp_4: Connection state: Timeout.

10 10:53:24 2021 user.notice NCM.SH: ppp_4: selected IP:

10 10:53:30 2021 daemon.notice netifd: ppp (18978): Timeout.

From the GUI (luci) under Status>System when temperature is shown as 'N/A' or on the overview page you see Timeout. being displayed then this is also a tell tale sign that the modem is not responding to AT commands. With firmwares starting from 00.06.07 I get that a lot. From monitoring the device logs I can see there is some modem_check script which is sometimes able to reset the modem but it doesn't seem to be running all the time.

I checked the ncm.sh scripts between releases 00.06.07 and 00.06.08.6 and they are identical. In release 00.06.06.1 the script is slightly different. Coincidence? Could it be that the newer firmwares are not properly tested on legacy devices which are using a different modem?

=========

by anonymous
@fathull Were you able to figure out anything in regards to this? My RUT950 has been going strong for 7 years but it's currently almost unusable.
+1 vote
by anonymous
I sent my troubleshooting file to ZygimantasBliu but also did a FW downgrade to RUT9XX_R_00.06.08.6. I went from having 4G disconnects every few minutes to being back to 4+ hours so far of stable connection. So either something got messed up with my FW upgrade, or the later versions have introduced something that causes timeouts for me.
by anonymous

The file you sent shows the router trying to make mobile data connection with several different APNs over a brief time interval. 

Could you try navigating to Network -> Mobile section, disable Auto APN option and set custom value according to your service provider?

by anonymous

After the downgrade to RUT9XX_R_00.06.08.6 the behaviour seems to be gone. I've been able to access my heat pumps for the last week, so something seems to have caused it for me in the later updates. I certainly won't go back to 00.06.09.2.