FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
1,129 views 7 comments
by anonymous

Hi you good people,

Using: RUT9XX_R_00.06.08.3

I would like to be able to ping the computer-name / host name of a RUT955. I have never been able to do this until today! Unfortunately it still a mystery to me so here is my question for you guys:

The RUT955 is configured with static IPs on the LAN Side and DHCP on the WAN side (WAN side is not "the internet" it is just another bigger but internal "home" network. 

If I ping the RUT´s host name from the WAN side (DHCP) it works!  I get a response from "RUT955.lan"

If I ping the RUT´s host name from the LAN side (static IPs) it unfortunately doesn´t work!

My findings: So far, I have tried to edit the settings of the PC connected to the LAN side of the RUT955. I added the IP Address of the RUT955 as the DNS-Server-Address in the NIC Adapter settings of a PC on the LAN side.

That didn't help :-(

So what am I doing wrong here?

Thank you!

5 Answers

0 votes
by anonymous

Hi,

Please, make sure you are using the latest firmware available for your RUT955. Firmware version RUT9XX_R_00.06.08.6 can be downloaded on the wiki page:

RUT955 Firmware Downloads (legacy WebUI) - Teltonika Networks Wiki (teltonika-networks.com)

The hostname for the LAN interface can be configured through the webUI option System > Administration > General > Administration Settings > Host name, or following the wiki page:

RUT955 Administration (legacy WebUI) - Teltonika Networks Wiki (teltonika-networks.com)

Remeber to reboot the device after making this configuration. If the problem persists, please share screenshots of your configuration on the RUT955 and the device trying to reach by ping.

by anonymous
It is crucial to us to run the legacy FW, unfortunately updating isn't an option.

But it should work even with RUT9XX_R_00.06.08.3

I have set everything as you describe it, so I huess I will make some Screenshots to Show how I have configured.

I will Post this asap

Thanks
0 votes
by anonymous

I can ping IP-Address of RUT955 No.1 from the PC

I can ping HostName of RUT955 No.1 from the PC

I can ping IP-Address (WAN-side) of RUT955 No.2 from the PC

I can NOT ping HostName of RUT955 No.2 from the PC

I can ping IP-Address (LAN-side) of RUT955 No.2 from the Laptop

I can NOT ping HostName of RUT955 No.2 from the Laptop

Can you help me understand why I can not Ping HostNames?

Thank you!

by anonymous

"I can NOT ping HostName of RUT955 No.1 from the PC"  About this statement, do you mean you can't ping hostname RUT955 No. 2? Since it contradicts a previous statement. 

Also, the screenshots required are from the RUT955's webUI config, as well as the laptop with static IP, to try to replicate the scenario. 

by anonymous
Sorry, my bad....

You were right, I corrected the text ;-)

Will send some Screenshots asap
0 votes
by anonymous

In this post:

01. I updated the diagram to make it more readable

02. I updated the text explaining the diagram

03. I have a screenshot of the Host-Name settings in the RUT955 as requested

Here is the text explaining the diagram:

I can ping IP-Address of RUT955 No.1 from the PC

I can ping HostName of RUT955 No.1 from the PC

I can ping IP-Address (WAN-side) of RUT955 No.2 from the PC

I can NOT ping HostName of RUT955 No.2 from the PC

###################################################

I can ping IP-Address (LAN-side) of RUT955 No.2 from the Laptop

I can NOT ping HostName of RUT955 No.2 from the Laptop

Can you help me understand why I can not Ping HostNames?

Thank you!

Please help me here!

Thank you!

by anonymous

Hello,

I tried replicating the scenario with my own RUT955 device with the latest firmware and it works fine. I am able to ping the hostname from the both PC's.

If you are configuring the laptop's IP from the laptop's NIC configuration, you should also set the DNS as the RUT955 N°2's LAN IP. Keep in mind that you can also lease a static IP to that MAC address going to option Network > LAN > Static Leases > Add. This option could be easier for your purpose, as you can see on the wiki page.

RUT955 LAN (legacy WebUI) - Teltonika Networks Wiki (teltonika-networks.com)

by anonymous
Thanks for replicating!

Did you ping the given hostname example: test12345

...or the extended one:

test12345.lan

I must admit this has not come to mind - I didn't think of this
0 votes
by anonymous

I have now installed RUT9_R_00.07.01.4 on RUT955 No.2

I can Ping the IP address RUT955 No.2 (WAN side IP 192.168.100.143)

I can not ping the Hostname of RUT955 No.2

diegohumari - you wrote it is possible in your test-scenario, so what am I doing wrong?

Here are some screenshots from RUT955 No.2:

by anonymous

Hi,

Your configuration seems to be correct from the RUT955’s side. Please, make sure your host has the RUT955 N° 2’s LAN configured as DNS. I get that same error when I don’t configure the DNS. In my case, I configured 192.168.1.1, which is my RUT955’s LAN, as DNS. And I am able to ping the hostname from a static IP.

0 votes
by anonymous

Thanks, but I think we are talking about 2 different problems here...

I am trying to ping the HostName from the WAN side!!!

This is the Computer on the right-hand-side of my diagram.

I am beginning to think that the WAN side of a router may not have a Hostname at all and the hostname set in the GUI of the RUT955 is only for the LAN Ports. What do you think? 

by anonymous
Hello,

You also mentioned you couldn't ping the hostname from the laptop with a static IP to the RUT955 N°2's LAN. Was that issue fixed?

About reaching the hostname from the WAN side it should be the same as from the LAN side (Teltonika-RUT955.com), if they are within the same network, the LAN address and hostname should also be reachable. Are you able to ping RUT955 N°2's LAN IP from the PC connected to RUT955 N°1? If that IP is not reachable, you will not be able to ping the hostname.