FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
483 views 0 comments
by anonymous
Hi,

I came across an issue when trying to ssh to a RUT240, the device is out of box and when I try to ssh to it, I get a timeout error.

When looking into the open ports(scanning the network with nmap), I get that the ssh port in the modem is "filtered".

The used firmware in the modem out of the box is RUT2XX_R_00.01_14.

What can be the reason for that and how to fix this issue?

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

To start things off - I'd highly advise upgrading the router firmware to the latest RUTOS version (7.01.4 currently). Please note that it will be necessary to upgrade firmware version twice - first to the intermediate FW version 01.14.5 and then to 7.01.4. I'm leaving a link to FW download page in case you're going to upgrade firmware manually (instead of using FOTA to download FW directly from server). When upgrading firmware version, it is very highly recommended to deselect the "Keep all settings" box to make sure clean upgrade is performed to the latest firmware version.

https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/RUT240_Firmware_Downloads

Some notes from the upgrade procedure:

To successfully upgrade RUT240 from Legacy firmware (RUT2XX_R_00.01.14.1 and below) to RUTOS (RUT2_R_00.07.01 and up), you must first upgrade to the latest Legacy firmware (RUT2XX_R_00.01.14.3 and up) and then upgrade to latest RUTOS firmware. For example:

It is not possible to upgrade from RUT2XX_R_00.01.14 to RUT2_R_00.07.01 and vice-versa;

It is possible to upgrade from RUT2XX_R_00.01.14 to RUT2XX_R_00.01.14.4 first, then to RUT2_R_00.07.01 and vice-versa.

Secondly, regarding the SSH connection issue - are you accessing RUT240 from internet (WAN) side or are you trying to get into it locally? 

If you're accessing router via SSH from the internet, a traffic rule will be required because, by default, any incoming traffic from WAN interface (apart from few rules defined in Traffic Rules section at Network > Firewall) will be rejected by the router.

If you're accessing router via SSH locally (from LAN zone) then please upgrade router to the latest firmware version and, if the issue persists, generate and send me a troubleshoot file via private message. To generate a troubleshoot file, please navigate to System → Administration → Troubleshoot and download it from the router.

Best regards,

Tomas.