FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
305 views 6 comments
by anonymous

I updated my RUT240 to the latest firmware RUT2_R_00.07.01.4.

I believe the earlier firmware was RUT2_R_00.07.01.1. After this update RUT240 will no longer connect to my OpenVPN server.

Unfortunately I don't have physical access to the RUT240 right now.

When I use the SMS Utilities, I can confirm that RUT240 has data connection over mobile LTE network.

The OpenVPN client name on RUT240 is "HA18".

The SMS response to "vpnstatus" is "HA18 - Disconnected"

I have tried to send SMS "vpnon HA18", but that doesn't change the connection state.

In the OpenVPN servers log file there is no trace of RUT240 trying to establish the tunnel.

I can download /etc/config/openvpn and it looks normal. The file has "openvpn.HA18.enable=1".

The answer here

routing-issues-rut240-when-used-conjunction-openvpn-cloud

suggests, that the latest release breaks some setting "UDP traceroute??". 

I therefore downloaded /etc/config/firewall, but I don't see anything wrong there. What exactly was meant by "UDP traceroute" in that post?

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello, 

You may need to restart the service after a firmware update. From what I understand, you have CLI access to the router, is that correct? You can apply the command /etc/init.d/openvpn restart to restart the service and see if this time the tunnel is established. 

by anonymous
Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion. I don't have CLI access to the device, but I have rebooted the device a couple of times after the FW update. This can be done by the SMS "reboot". That didn't help.
by anonymous

Not necessarily when the device is rebooted the OpenVPN connection is properly restarted. You can read another old case where this happens. 

OPENVPN FAILS TO CONNECT AFTER RUT240 REBOOT

In that case, you must restart the connection through the WebUI or CLI as I mentioned above. If you don't have access to the device at the moment, you can try to access it through our RMS platform. For this, you will need the MAC and the serial number of the device. This way you will be able to remotely access the device and execute an OpenVPN restart. Here is a link on how to create an account in RMS and add a device. 

How to Add a New Device to RMS – How to Create a New Teltonika Networks RMS Account

by anonymous
I didn't have this problem earlier. When the router had  the old firmware, I rebooted the router several times and the OpenVPN link always came up by itself.

RMS is disabled on the router. I have an RMS account, but never never really used it. If I add the MAC and device serial number to the RMS portal will it then work with RMS disabled in the router? -Or maybe I can enable RMS in the router by using the SMS utility (?).

From the post you linked to, it seems that this problem has been known for more than a year and it was not fixed. This is very unfortunate, as I rely on the OpenVPN to come up by itself. Otherwise I have no data connection to the routed network.

One question: I thought the "vpnoff" and "vpnon" SMS messages would stop and start the OpenVPN service. Your post indicates that this is not equivalent, so what is the use of the  "vpnoff" and "vpnon" SMS messages, if they don't stop/start the service?
by anonymous

It may be some kind of issue with the new firmware. 

You can try as you mentioned to restart the VPN with the vpnon and vpnoff SMS commands. However, I think it's better that you also activate the RMS connection. Since if it does not establish the tunnel, I would ask you to share with me the troubleshooting file to examine it. You can activate the RMS connection with the rms_on and rms_connect SMS commands. 

If the above-mentioned does not work, you can extract and share with me privately the troubleshooting file. You do this through the WebUI, through the menu System→Administration→Troubleshoot.

by anonymous
I went to the site, where the router is installed and it seemed that the RUT240 had lost the "HMAC authentication key" for the OpenVPN. Once I reentered the file with this key, RUT240 connected again to my OpenVPN server. So apparently it is not quite safe to do a firmware update and expect all settings to be preserved.
by anonymous
Hello,

Good to hear that all is well again. It is possible with some upgrades, that some settings or services may be lost. It is always good to have the device registered by RMS to manage it remotely if necessary.