FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
655 views 1 comments
by anonymous
Hello,

I am new to network technology and although there are several posts about dns forwarding available in the forum it seems as if I don't understand how this works with Teltonika router.

Device name: RUTXR1, Firmware Version: RUTX_R_00.02.06

I use the Teltonika as router and gateway to the internet with one sim card.
Within the LAN I have got two Raspberry Pis running a DNS server each (one for fallback).
Within the general settings section I entered four IPs in the DNS forwardings section

192.168.1.200 (first R Pi)
192.168.1.201 (second R Pi)
8.8.8.8 (you know it)
8.8.4.4 (you also know it)

My DNS servers run correctly. If I call them directly they return the IP for the desired domain name correctly (used dig command to test and entered them as DNS servers in iPad).

However, I want to have my Teltonika router to be the starting point, i.e. 192.168.1.1 should be my "DNS server". If some program performs a DNS request to 192.168.1.1 the router should first call 192.168.1.200. If there is no answer, 192.168.1.201, if there is no answer, 8.8.8.8 and finally 8.8.4.4. I suppose that the order of the DNS servers matters.

My question is: Which other parameters do I have to set and how do I have to set them to achieve this goal?

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Equilibrium

1 Answer

+1 vote
by anonymous
Hello,

From the UI, go to Network->Interfaces->Lan, edit it using the pen the DNS servers list is in the General Settings page add your own there.

Regards,
Best answer
by anonymous
Thanks a lot for fast help. This worked.

To help others like me who are new to network technology.

Network --> DNS seems to be the section for the internal DNS server.

Network -->Interfaces-->Lan is the place to define the DNS servers that should be called if a request is performed on this interface, as described in the answer above.

Regards