FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
1,628 views 6 comments
by anonymous
I have just purchased the rut950 thinking it was the best option for us... I live in Australia and our ISP providers require vlan over wan. I have searched all night for an answer and my service order can't help. How do I enable vlan on the Wan port? Or should I return the device?
by anonymous

Should be able to get VLAN on all ports 1,2,3,4

'''

2 Answers

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

By default WAN port operates on VLAN ID 2. You can set custom VLAN IDs in the WebUI, at Network > VLAN > Port based and then create & set new desired VLAN ID. 

For example, if your ISP requires WAN port to communicate using VLAN 7 (tagged), create a new WAN port with VLAN ID 7 and set WAN port as "tagged".

Some additional information about VLANs is provided in our wiki page:

https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/RUTX11_VLAN

Best regards,

Tomas.

by anonymous
Hi Thomas,

Thank you for your reply. I don't understand what is wrong in this case. My ISP is TPG and after numerous phone calls they could not help. They require VLAn to be set to 2, so if that it is it by default I don't understand what the issue is. The only settings they have got me to out in which I already had was changing the Wan to PPoE and inserting my username and password and nothing else. I am kinda stuck as they just can't help and my old modem is on its way out. I have never dealt with such an advanced modem before and I just don't know what to do. I have been scrolling through the wiki page and nothing screams to me "this is the problem here". Even after reading the wiki I still don't understand if I'm supposed to be in balanced mode or not... One tech did say it connected for a few seconds at one point but that was while I was playing around with different things I found on the wiki... I just can't get it to connect again if at all... The closest it does is on the info screen with the ports picture there is an X over wan but the Wan says connected and is green for a moment but then goes orange and nope. My other modem connects immediately so I'm still hoping I can make this work...
by anonymous

If you're using PPPoE to connect - please note that there is currently a bug when using latest (7.01.4) firmware version - PPPoE settings do not save correctly when entered. To apply PPPoE settings using this firmware version, do the following:

1. Set PPPoE protocol in the WebUI on WAN interface
  2. Login to the router via CLI (either using SSH client or via WebUI at System > CLI [default username: root / password: <WebUI password>] and run the following commands (edit them before entering the information accordingly!): 

uci set network.wan.username='yougotthisfromyour@isp.eu'

uci set network.wan.password='yourpassword'

uci commit network && /etc/init.d/network reload

Make sure to enter all of the details correctly.

If you need more details regarding how to login to the router via CLI, please follow the instructions as described on our wiki page here:

https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/RUT950_CLI

This bug will be fixed in the upcoming firmware release version 7.2.

If this doesn't work, please verify if there are any more settings which are required/specified by your ISP in order for the device to connect. Perhaps there's a MAC address authorization (device with incorrect MAC address won't be able to get any IP address from ISP) or maybe a client ID is required to connect? There are some additional settings when editing WAN interface at Network > Interfaces > [Edit WAN interface] > Advanced Settings which may help with this issue.

For example, try to set your RUT950 WAN MAC address to the old device WAN MAC address and see if changing these settings does anything at all.

If you're still having trouble, please let me know.

by anonymous
Thank you Thomas, I will try this first thing on the morning as it is now very late. If the problem is resolved I will confirm on here for others
by anonymous
Hi again.. so I have read through all the comments, upgraded the firmware and read through the wiki page again before commenting. I followed the steps to insert the username and password but the biggest difference is I cannot get wan to show up in the vlan section at all... I have called TPG again and they say that they cannot help me as it should have 'just worked' with the username and password as the other settings shouldn't be needed... Lol this is good times XD... Also under wan there is no option to change the Mac, but other connection have the option.. sorry to be a pain..
by anonymous

Could you generate a troubleshoot file and send it over to me via private message? I'll leave instructions regarding how to generate the troubleshoot file as well as brief description about what it is below.

What's a troubleshoot file and how to generate it?

A Troubleshoot file contains the device's event logs, configuration files and other information useful for diagnostics. It can be downloaded from your device's WebUI, Troubleshoot page:

System → Administration → Troubleshoot

0 votes
by anonymous

For future reference, in case someone runs into issues with TPG ISP and RUT950 specifically, this is the solution (as of the date of this post):

Note: access to the router via command-line interface (CLI) is required to perform the following action! Please refer to our wiki page for additional reference regarding how to login to the router via CLI

uci add network device

uci set network.@device[-1].name='taggedWAN'

uci set network.@device[-1].type='8021q'

uci set network.@device[-1].ifname='eth1'

uci set network.@device[-1].vid='2'

uci set network.wan.proto='pppoe'

uci set network.wan.mtu='1480'

uci set network.wan.username='PPPOE_USERNAME'

uci set network.wan.password='PPPOE_PASSWORD'

uci set network.wan.ipv6='auto'

uci add_list network.wan.dns='DNS_server_#1'

uci add_list network.wan.dns='DNS_server_#2'

uci set network.wan.ifname='taggedWAN'

uci set network.wan6.disabled='1'

uci commit && reload_config

These commands will do the following:

1. Create a 802.1Q VLAN with ID (tag) 2, and set eth1 (WAN port) as the parent interface

2. Set WAN interface to PPPoE protocol with all the correct settings: MTU, protocol, username & password (make sure to modify values in their respective lines!), DNS servers (make sure to edit these lines as well before applying configuration on your router!), VLAN interface

3. Disable WAN6 interface to make sure it doesn't interfere with the process

Best regards,

Tomas.