FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
836 views 29 comments
by anonymous
Dear Support and Community,

is there a way to assign a ipv6 adress for my RUTx09? Currently i have only the possibility to assign a ipv4 adress.

apn for ipv4: internet.telekom (internet connection working)

apn for ipv6: internet.v6.telekom (internet connection not working)

source: https://telekomhilft.telekom.de/t5/Mobilfunk/Liste-aller-Telekom-Mobilfunk-Zugangspunkte-APNs/ta-p/4400385

Please check the assigned, short documentation file.

Best regards

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous
Hello,

Did you set the PDP type option to IPv6 in your mobile interface settings?

Best regards,

Žygimantas
by anonymous
Hi,

where is it located?

I dont find any option for "PDP" in Network->Mobile.

I will send you a screenshot.

Best regards
by anonymous

Navigate to Network -> Interfaces. Press pencil icon on the left of the MOB1S2A1 interface to open configuration window. Set PDP type to IPv4/IPv6.

Best regards

by anonymous
Ok Thanks,

i managed to set it on ipv6 and is now visible in my Network Interfaces.

However , the internet connection is not working with the ipv6, although my device shows "running" in Network Interfaces and Status Overview. I also rebooted the device but it is still not working.

What else could be a reason?
by anonymous

Could you connect to the device via CLI/SSH and post the output of the following command:

• ip -6 rule show

Best regards

by anonymous
Hi,

i sent the output via pm.

Please check it out.

Best regards
by anonymous
Hi,

the problem is not solved yet.

Is the firmware maybe not supporting ipv6 for some reason?

my current is:

RUTX_R_00.07.02.1

Best regards

Thomas
by anonymous

Could you try this command:

ip -6 rule show | grep 2062 && ip -6 rule delete $(ip -6 rule show | grep 2062 | cut -d":" -f 2)

and check that you can ping outside servers both from the router itself and other devices on the lan:

ping -c 1 2a00:1288:110:c305::1:8001

by anonymous
Hello Flebourse,

checked your command but nothing changed.

I also did a test , to put the simcard into my cell phone and it worked immediately fine. I get an IPv6 (and IPv4) and i can access the internet without any problems. IP test in the Browser shows also the IPv6 (and IPv4).

I have problems to understand what happens technically in the router.

Again, i get an ipv6, which is visible in the network interface, if you log into the router. But whenever i do an ip test (in a browser) it does not show the ipv6 and access the internet via ipv4. For ipv6 only use case it does not access the internet at all.

Is there maybe something in my Windows Firewall i have to enable/disable?

Or do i have to modify my network settings?

Best regards
by anonymous
Did you test the ping above from the router ? Does it reply ? From your windows ? Do you get an IPv6 address on the Windows system ?

Next step would be to execute a tcpdump -i br-lan -n -v icmp6 on the router and a ping from the Win system ? What is the output of tcpdump ?

Edit: and make sure port 546/udp is open in the window firewall.
by anonymous

Good Evening Flebourse,

Did you test the ping above from the router ? Does it reply ?
Yes it does:

root@Teltonika-RUTX09:~# ping -c 1 2a00:1288:110:c305::1:8001
PING 2a00:1288:110:c305::1:8001 (2a00:1288:110:c305::1:8001): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 2a00:1288:110:c305::1:8001: seq=0 ttl=50 time=68.126 ms

--- 2a00:1288:110:c305::1:8001 ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 1 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 68.126/68.126/68.126 ms
root@Teltonika-RUTX09:~#

From your windows ? Do you get an IPv6 address on the Windows system ?
No i dont see it, if i use: "ipconfig -all"

Next step would be to execute a tcpdump -i br-lan -n -v icmp6 on the router and a ping from the Win system ? What is the output of tcpdump ?
root@Teltonika-RUTX09:~# tcpdump -i br-lan -n -v icmp6
tcpdump: listening on br-lan, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 262144 b                                                                                                                                                             ytes
^C
0 packets captured
0 packets received by filter
0 packets dropped by kernel

I had to stop the process after 30 min because nothing happened.
But it seems it did not do anything.

I opened the port udp 546 in my firewall before all these operations.

Best regards
thomas88

by anonymous
So your windows system doesn't receive an IPv6 address from the router ...

Go to Network->Interfaces, select the pen of the LAN interface in the Interfaces:LAN section select Advanced Settings. Be sure to have "Use builtin IPv6 management" set, and in the DHCP server section select IPv6 Settings, set "Router Advertisement-service" "DHCPv6 Service" and "NDP proxy" to Hybrid mode, set "DHCPv6 Mode" to "Stateless + stateful", and set "Always annonce default router". Save&apply.

After a few minutes your win machine should have acquired an IPv6 address. You can then retry the ping.
by anonymous
Many Thanks Flebourse,

it worked. I can see the ip now in my webbrowser.

Best regards

Thomas
by anonymous
And what about the ping from the win machine ?
by anonymous
The ping from local windows commandline works.

But not from external computers. I guess i need there IPv6 Adresses aswell right?

Currently i am trying to ping from IPv4 Machine to the Router (Ipv6) but he does not find the network.

Best regards

Thomas
by anonymous

But not from external computers. I guess i need there IPv6 Adresses aswell right?

Yes, of course IPv6 must be enabled on all computers for it to be usable.

by anonymous

Ok so now both machines have IPv6.

I can ping from both machines sites like google, facebook etc (with Ipv6).

But i cannot Ping the Router (Machine A) from my Machine B.

Is there maybe an option which i have to enable first aswell?
Best regards

by anonymous
Which address on the router are you trying to ping ? What is the output of ifconfig br-lan and ifconfig wwan0 on the router (mask the public part)? What are the ipv6 addresses of machine B ? The default ipv6 route ?

Have you set "Use builtin IPv6 management" for the mob1s1a1 and mob1s2a1 intefaces ?
by anonymous

Hi Thomas,

Also, please check the current "Allow-ping"  traffic rule includes the IPv6 address family. For reference, see the picture in the URL below:

https://community.teltonika-networks.com/?qa=blob&qa_blobid=5672359160248152080

Regards.

by anonymous
Good point, but there must be another issue at hand here. ping6 to the br-lan addresses will work, to the wwan0 public one from another device in the lan doesn't a Destination unreachable error is returned.
by anonymous

@adevs:

Thanks for your input here, i checked it , modified the traffic rule for "Allow-ping" but nothing has changed.

@flebourse:

Which address on the router are you trying to ping ?
The one i see in my webbrowser, if i check my ip; from my understanding this should be the public one. Please correct me if i am wrong.
E.g. : https://www.wieistmeineip.de/

What is the output of ifconfig br-lan and ifconfig wwan0 on the router (mask the public part)?
in br-lan i see 3 ipv6 adresses; 1 with Scope:Link and 2 with Scope:Global

What are the ipv6 addresses of machine B ? The default ipv6 route ?
Machine B is a Server. The ISP gave me the IPv6 Adress. It is a static one.

by anonymous

I'm a little lost ... Could you draw a diagram of your network, with the router, machine B and your PC ?

>The one i see in my webbrowser, if i check my ip; from my understanding this should be the public one. Please correct me if i am wrong.
You aren't.

From your PC can you ping the addresses with a global scope on br-lan (should work)? On wwan0 (should fail if you have the same issue than me)?. And stopping the firewall won't help here.

by anonymous

Hi ,

This is the Network Plan:

From your PC can you ping the addresses with a global scope on br-lan (should work)? On wwan0 (should fail if you have the same issue than me)?

I cannot ping the adresses listed in the br-lan with global scope. I get the error: "Host not found"

Best regards

Thomas

by anonymous

Ok for the drawing. How do you assign a static IPv4/v6 address to the server ? Is it in the same prefix range as the router ?

From the server and the PC: can you ping the IPv4 (yes v4) address of the wwan0 interface of the router ?

I cannot ping the adresses listed in the br-lan with global scope. I get the error: "Host not found"

ping the ipv6 address directly, not the name. Idem from the server.

by anonymous
Hi,
Ok for the drawing. How do you assign a static IPv4/v6 address to the server ? Is it in the same prefix range as the router ?
I got it from my Admin. I guess the ISP gave this Adress to my Admin by request.
The prefix range is different.
Router starts with 2a01:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx
Server starts with 2a00:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx

From the server and the PC: can you ping the IPv4 (yes v4) address of the wwan0 interface of the router ?
From PC it works.
From Server not working.

> I cannot ping the adresses listed in the br-lan with global scope. I get the error: "Host not found"
ping the ipv6 address directly, not the name. Idem from the server.

I checked that again and you are right. I can ping the global ones from br-lan but not the global ones from wwan0.

From the server no ping works to my router network.

Best regards
by anonymous

The prefix range is different.

> Router starts with 2a01:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx
> Server starts with 2a00:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx

Without specially crafted routes that won't fly very far ... Are you sure about the 2a00 one ?
>From the server and the PC: can you ping the IPv4 (yes v4) address of the wwan0 interface of the router ?
>From PC it works.
>From Server not working.
Are you using private IPv4 addresses on the lan ?
by anonymous

HI Flebourse,

Without specially crafted routes that won't fly very far ... Are you sure about the 2a00 one ?

Yep i checked it again, it is definetely a different prefix. As i said i can ping from both machines google etc.

>From the server and the PC: can you ping the IPv4 (yes v4) address of the wwan0 interface of the router ?
>From PC it works.
>From Server not working.
Are you using private IPv4 addresses on the lan?
The wwan0 interface shows me within the router only a private ipv4 the global ones are ipv6. But none of them are pingable from the server.
Best regards
Thomas

by anonymous

Yep i checked it again, it is definetely a different prefix. As i said i can ping from both machines google etc.

Ping or ping6 ? The server also ?

>But none of them are pingable from the server.

It should be possible to put the server in DHCPv6 mode in order to get a 2a01: address and the default routes,  and add a 2a00: one on top of it but that depends on the OS itself (Linux: sure, Windows; don't know).

by anonymous

>Ping or ping6 ? The server also ?

both ping and ping6 to google.com is working from both machines.

>It should be possible to put the server in DHCPv6 mode in order to get a 2a01: address and the default routes,  and add a 2a00: one on top of it but >that depends on the OS itself (Linux: sure, Windows; don't know).

It is Debian/Linux OS.

Btw, what is the difference between 2a00 and 2a01 adresses?

by anonymous

Btw, what is the difference between 2a00 and 2a01 adresses?

Both are public as described here I am not aware of any subtleties.