FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
+1 vote
1,115 views 8 comments
by anonymous

Setup:

• Firmware RUT9_R_00.07.02.1
  • RUT955 connected with WAN (cable) and Win10 client PC (cable). No SIM card inserted.
  • Reset to factory settings (plus manual deletion of log.db)
  • Setup wizard with straightforward settings. No strange characters used for passwords or for the AP-mode SSID.

Question 1: Why does the router still know the last SIM card's PIN after the factory reset?!?

• After finishing the wizard: Router configuration as WiFi client (different 192.168 subnet) and connection to existing client. No failover settings applied.
  • Unplug client PC LAN cable, connect client PC with router via WiFi. Seems to work.
  • Router reboot
  • Now the client can hardly reach remote Internet addresses or the router itself. Plugin in client LAN cable again.
  • In the log every few seconds the following lines appear:
    • 2022-06-25 12:53:22     WiFi     WiFi client disconnected: <MAC address>
    • 2022-06-25 12:53:21     WiFi     WiFi client connected: <MAC address>
  • In Status --> Network --> Wireless I can see the WiFi client alternately appearing and disappearing
  • Troubleshooting file is attached.

I re-installed the computer's Win10 WLAN driver, made various experiments with different firmware versions, WiFi settings (country code, distance optimization etc.), and used different WiFi antennas. I inserted/removed the SIM card and made attempts with static DHCP leases. Sometimes it worked, but not for long time.

I've spent altogether more than 3 days on debugging this. Connecting my client PC to my home WLAN network works perfectly. The PC's network adapter is a standard Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 device.

Question 2: Why doesn't this work?!?

One day later (i.e. definitely beyond the 12 hours DHCP lease time) I made another attempt with freshly booted RUT955 (no WAN cable, SIM card inserted, according to the status overview it is connected as client to my home WLAN network, too) and Windows.

Excerpt from RUT955 connections events log (only one page, this series spans over several minutes resulting in a flood of log lines):

2022-06-26 09:21:40     WiFi     WiFi client disconnected: <MAC address>
2022-06-26 09:21:40     WiFi     WiFi client connected: <MAC address>
2022-06-26 09:21:39     WiFi     WiFi client connected: <MAC address>
2022-06-26 09:21:39     WiFi     WiFi client disconnected: <MAC address>

According to Windows ipconfig /all the PC got 192.168.1.138 assigned with a sensible lease start and expiry time.

I attach a Wireshark trace of this attempt.

Question 3: Can you please check this dump?

There is a Teltonika video in Youtube "How to Enable WiFi WAN on Teltonika Networks Routers". According to this instruction I have to re-order the interfaces in the network interface menue (and of course use different subnetworks - which is the case in my configuration). Ok, tried this, but hasn't worked. In fact this instruction is not covered by the official manual, see section Client Mode. Re-ordering of interfaces makes imho no sense at all, because failover is configured somewhere else. And according to the example provided in the manual the LAN interface is first in the list.

Question 4: Why do you recommend in the video moving the WWAN interface to the top of the list?

Summary: My RUT955 works as WiFi AP only with WAN connectivity via cable or mobile data (same client PC as used for the experiments described above). Using it both as WiFi client and AP at the same time does not work. And this is the functionality I bought it for.

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

Question 1: Why does the router still know the last SIM card's PIN after the factory reset?!?

The PIN code entered in the WebUI is stored in device's flash memory as a measure to preserve it and avoid entering the code after each reboot.

Question 2: Why doesn't this work?!?

As you have mentioned, you have your RUT955 router connected as a client to another access point. Please, make sure that your RUT device and the access point are in different subnets, since they both operate as DHCP servers and, therefore, may conflict each other. Simply navigate to Network -> Interfaces in the WebUI and edit the LAN interface settings.

The reasons for frequent disconnects might be such as a low WiFi signal quality or the device switching between multiple access points, but I believe these are not the case. 

Question 3: Can you please check this dump?

The dump does show continuous DHCP lease requests to the Teltonika router, however, the IP address of the router is set to belong to 192.168.1.1 subnet. Again, I suggest to change it as it might be in the same local network as the access point.

Question 4: Why do you recommend in the video moving the WWAN interface to the top of the list?

In case your router has other sources of WAN available (wired or mobile), it may not use the wireless WAN as its main source to access the internet. Dragging it to the top of the list increases interface's priority if Failover is not configured.

Best regards,

Žygimantas

by anonymous

Thank you very much for looking into this issue. Please find my new attempts/answers below.

"Please, make sure that your RUT device and the access point are in different subnets, since they both operate as DHCP servers and, therefore, may conflict each other. Simply navigate to Network -> Interfaces in the WebUI and edit the LAN interface settings."

According to the status page the RUT955 obtains 192.168.173.116/24 from my home network AP. Out of curiosity I changed the RUT955 LAN interface settings to 192.168.29.1/24. Same problem as before: frequent connects/disconnects.

"The reasons for frequent disconnects might be such as a low WiFi signal quality or the device switching between multiple access points, but I believe these are not the case."

From the status page: <HomeNetAP>    Running     2.4GHz     92%     270.0 Mbit/s     Client     WPA3 SAE (CCMP). Signal quality should be sufficient.

Question 5: Looking at my home network AP SSID: It contains a comma, something like "Bla Blubb 2,4GHz" (the actual name should be in the troubleshoot file). Do commas have the potential to cause this behaviour?

Question 6: According to the manual there are several AP parameters with default value "none":

DTIM interval seconds; default: none Delivery Traffic Indication Message Interval.
Time interval for rekeying GTK seconds; default: none Period of time in between automatic changes of the group key, which all devices on the network share.
Station inactivity limit seconds; default: none Station inactivity limit in seconds. If a station/client does not send anything in st time frame, an empty data frame is sent to it in order to verify whether it is still in range. If this frame is not acknowledged, the station will be disassociated and then deauthenticated.
Maximum allowed Listen Interval positive integer; default: none Association will be refused if a client/station attempts to associate with a listen interval greater than this value.

But the UI displays grey ciphers in the corresponding fields, see screenshot. This contradicts somehow the manual. Are these numbers recommendations? They disapper if I start typing, so why are they there?

by anonymous

Hello,

From the logs in the troubleshoot file, your configuration seems correct.

Question 5: Looking at my home network AP SSID: It contains a comma, something like "Bla Blubb 2,4GHz" (the actual name should be in the troubleshoot file). Do commas have the potential to cause this behaviour?

Comma in the SSID name should not impact connection. At least it did not during my testing.

Question 6: According to the manual there are several AP parameters with default value "none":

You can view the grey values as example values. Other than that, they have no effect on the device operation until actual values are entered by the user.

------

I have tried to replicate your configuration, with the same encryption and SSID titles. After some time I did start to receive similar entries in the logs and lost connection to the router.

The thing that solved it for me and the thing I would like you to try is the following:

• In your laptop, open window with network adapters.
  • Press right button on your wireless adapter and press Properties.
  • Press Configure...
  • In a new window switch to Advanced tab
  • Disable MIMO Power save mode

See if that helps and post your results. Otherwise, if the issue persists I will forward the issue to the RnD.

Best regards,

Žygimantas

by anonymous

Comma in the SSID name should not impact connection. At least it did not during my testing.

Yes. I can confirm. Another attempt with "simplified" SSID was not succcessful.

I have tried to replicate your configuration, with the same encryption and SSID titles. After some time I did start to receive similar entries in the logs and lost connection to the router.

• Disable MIMO Power save mode

Sorry to disappoint you, but there was no effect. I disabled the power save mode and restarted the PC, but no success. Distance between PC and WiFi-antennas was ~1m.

WLAN network adapter is an Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 with Intel driver 20.70.21.2 (dated 2021-01-10 which seems to be the newest version). Windows 10 Pro 21H2. Home network router is a FRITZ!box 7490.

Otherwise, if the issue persists I will forward the issue to the RnD.

Well, I don't want to say that this confirmation makes me happy, but I'm somehow glad that you could reproduce the problem. Btw, my iPhone has no problems with the RUT.

If required I will be available for debugging. Just let me know.

P.S: I'm typing these lines with the affected Windows PC via WiFi - RUT955 - WAN cable (i.e. without RUT955 WiFi client mode).

by anonymous
Dear Žygimantas,

any news on this issue?

Thanks!
by anonymous
Hello,

He is currently on vacation and will get back you after he comes back as has done the testing and the research, that will be the most efficient way. As if there are some changes needed from RnD he will be able to provide a more accurate case in the mean time, please wait, thank you
by anonymous
Dear Žygimantas, dear Paulius,

sorry for being impatient, but have you found out something?

Thanks!
by anonymous

There have been several firmware iterations since 7.02.1. 

Could you update your device to the latest 7.02.7 with Keep settings option disabled, to confirm if the issue is still present? And if that is the case, could you generate and attach another troubleshoot file by editing your question?

by anonymous

Spent another day on this problem with a RUT950 showing the same behaviour. Yes, the issue is still there.

• RUT9_R_00.07.04
  • Dell tablet with newest driver (from Dell) for the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 network adapter
  • Disabled in the driver settings everything which sounds like roaming, frequency band hopping or power saving
Conclusion: the static lease entry for the tablet's WLAN MAC address is the setting causing the frequent (dis-)connects. I attach a troubleshoot file to the original post (with the static lease entry removed).