FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
1,191 views 4 comments
by anonymous

Unfortunately, I have massive problems with 14 RUT955 modems that we have purchased.

They are installed in an industrial application of ours, but currently still in internal test runs.

Due to the extensive changelog, we have upgraded them to the latest  firmware RUT9_R_00.07.02.3

Unfortunately, we do have non reproduceable defects of one or more of the following problems again and again:

·         4G Modem

1.       The modem recognizes the SIM card, successfully connects to the provider, but the connection status is then set to "Disconnected".
A data connection is therefore not established.
This can be fixed by one or more restarts of the modem and does not occur anymore, at least as long as you do not take the modem off the network again
or restart it.

·         LAN with DHCP

1.       Again and again, it happens that the DHCP server does not output IP addresses. Connected devices therefore do not work.
This can be fixed by restarting the modem but occurs again at irregular intervals.

2.       An entire RJ45 port becomes inactive. The LEDs for the connection then no longer light up on both sides. If you connect the attached device to another
port, the connection is working properly. If you go back to the "defective" port, nothing works again.
This can be fixed by restarting the modem but occurs again at irregular intervals.

·         SNMP

1.       Despite reading the current RUT955 Wiki it was not possible for us to read data via SNMP because most requests came back to the feedback that the respective data point does not exist.
Even requests that basically worked before, for example, were suddenly no longer existent an hour later.
We don't have a solution for this, which is why we decided to switch to MODBUS.

·         Modbus

1.       Most requests are completely problem-free, to the point where only data garbage comes as an answer. This goes so far that our external Linux application (PC based, not on the router) starts to reboot itself in an endless loop because
the received Modbus data cannot be interpreted.

·         System

1.       Flash memory
Although all 14 modems were upgraded in the same way and then the settings were uploaded as a file, the display of the flash memory is very different.
It ranges from 30 to over 99.7%, but from our point of view there is no connection between the full memory and the problems mentioned above.

2.       Uploading settings to the modem
The settings secured from a modem can sometimes not be transferred to identical modems because the system rejects them as corrupt.
After a restart, however, this is sometimes possible again. All modems have the same firmware version.

3.       Login LOOP:
On the login screen of the modems you must enter the username and default password when they are first put into operation. Then you will be asked to change the password,
otherwise you will not get into the system. That's what I did, after which I was thrown back into the first login screen. Until a restart, this always went in circles again and again.
I tried out in the current browsers Firefox and Edge.

For these reasons, it is unfortunately not possible for us to install the devices as desired, as they will be in operation on "unmanned" places where someone cannot permanently restart the system.

I am looking out for someone of Teltronika for technical support/help.

2 Answers

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

Thank you for your detailed feedback.

In order to receive required attention and support for these issues, it is advised to create queries in Teltonika VIP helpdesk system here, if you have an account. Otherwise, contact your sales manager for further support.

Best regards,

Žygimantas

by anonymous
Hello,

I assume you are a member of Teltonika?
Are you really telling me to buy a VIP Support ticket to get support because your firmware is not able to provide the advertised functionality?

Unfortunately we have no sales manager because the modems have been bought from a retailer

Best regards,
Stefan
by anonymous

Hello,

Considering the nature of your points, almost every issue requires a separate query and helpdesk system would allow to receive support faster with more attention from RnD. However, almost every instance requires a troubleshoot file from a faulty devices to begin investigating. To generate one, access router's WebUI, go to System -> Administration > Troubleshoot section and download troubleshoot file from there. 

As of right now:

• 4G modem. A troubleshoot file would provide more insight into probable mobile issues. Possible suggestions include:
  • LAN with DHCP. In this case a troubleshoot from a device with properly not functioning DHCP would also help. In addition a trace of tcpdump or Wireshark would also be helpful.
  • SNMP. What specific values are not returned, which values are stopped to be returned after a while? What is your device configuration, what MIB browser do you use?
  • MODBUS. Again, at least a troubleshoot file from a device, where the issue has occurred is necessary. Supplemental screenshots with incorrect values would be helpful too.
  • Flash memory. I will enquire about the possible reasons for such memory discrepancies.
  • Backup upload is only possible between devices with identical firmware versions and hardware (the same product code). If these conditions are met and the backup fails to upload, a troubleshoot file is needed.
  • The login issue has been previously solved by simply disabling Keep settings option before attempting to update device firmware, or, as you have done it, device reboot, and should not reoccur again. 

Best regards,

Žygimantas

0 votes
by anonymous
We are having the same errors that OP describes on our 4G systems. We have about 15-20 routers where 5-6 are 4G systems, and the 4G systems are all pretty unstable. We have had to change some of the routers and try different routers before we found one that worked. At the last issue, one SIM card that was working and activated had the "disconnected" error, while another one worked. Many of the routers are far from our office, so we either have to spend alot of time / money or have our customer swapping routers, which is unproffessional. Either way, this cant go on, and the problems have to be adressed by Teltonika, or we have to get another manufacturer and return our units to our supplier as they are not working like an industrial grade router as they are as.
by anonymous

We are experiencing this issue with the 4G modem as well.
Data connection is set to "disconnected" on multiple routers (RUT955).
What i have tried: 

• Using a router with factory defaults
  • Using a pre-configured router and only changing the PIN/PUK
  • Uploading a config file via RMS
  • Using different firmwares on both Legacy and the webUI)

I ended up having to try different routers until i found one that worked. 
And some of them will switch to "disconnected" after some days. Today i had to go to that router and manually switch to a backup-sim in slot nr.2.

Enabling auto reboot is not something i would want to use on our systems because we have a computer powered via the relay. The risk of corrupting the data on this computer by turning the router off and on often is to high for us to use that function.

We are now considering trying to find a different manufacturer because we cannot send out a system anymore and feel safe that it will work when the customer turns it on. This is something that has to be addressed by Teltonika ASAP.

by anonymous

Hello,

It is unfortunate to hear that you had an unsatisfactory experience with Teltonika products.

However, you can always reach out to us for help and this forum is a good place to start.

In order to provide support, more technical details are needed for each issue and case, such as device model, firmware version used, some excerpt of the log entries or the full, previously mentioned, troubleshoot file, a usage scenario or network topology.

Below are some of the guidelines you can refer to for basic troubleshooting:

• Check if the mobile connectivity parameters have acceptable strength and quality indicator values. For specific values refer to this link: https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/Mobile_Signal_Strength_Recommendations.
  • In low coverage areas try changing device location and use directional antennas.
  • Test configurations with both, automatically and manually set APN values.
  • Always use latest firmware.
  • Check if the SIM card itself works with other devices, if it has proper voltage rating (1.8 V/3 V), if it is not bound to a certain device.
  • Some operators may require VoLTE setting enabled. It can be done in the router's WebUI, by navigating to Network -> Mobile
  • In some cases, where mobile occasionally disconnects, and for the connection to reestablish a reboot is required, instead of rebooting the whole device, configure automatic modem reboot. It is faster and the device does not lose power. 
  • Sometimes, automatically selected mobile frequency bands may not provide desired speeds or stability. In these cases, a manual band setting may be a solution. For instructions check this page: https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/Band_Lock.
  • There is a difference in functionality between the MAIN and AUX antennas. For the communication to establish, MAIN antenna must be connected and properly oriented.
  • Mobile connection quality varies due to certain conditions, thus a combination of bad weather, heavy cell tower load and a certain distance from it may result in connectivity loss.
  • If the device is updated to at least 7.2 version, and the disconnects are still present, modem firmware can be updated separately. Instructions have already been provided in previous threads, such as this: https://community.teltonika-networks.com/50265/rut951-with-mobile-wan-interface-coming-even-with-connected.

Best regards,

Žygimantas