FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
775 views 2 comments
by anonymous

Hello,

My company construction sites are using RUT950 and RUTX09 routers (all are connected to RMS) with SIM cards for internet connection. Every SIM card has a mobile data package assigned and when we use it up the we have to pay additional fees. Recently some sites are burning through this packages and generating costs. I can see on all devices the overall mobile data usage by I would like to know who/what is responsible for this. Is there some RMS dashboard or report that could tell my how much a given client connected to a given router uses our mobile data? Or maybe there is some third party software which could gather logs/data/SNMP/whatever from our routers and let my analyze them? Or maybe is should install some packages on each router (eg. tcpdump)?

by anonymous
It is possible to set up accounting for individual clients, using custom made scripts. I.e. by using access.log from a proxy, running on the RUT. Assigning this accounting info to physical devices needs further processing, i.e. correlation with dhcp-data.

An alternative approach would be installation of a captive portal, incl. traffic limits per MAC.

2 Answers

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello, 

You can see in real-time the data usage consumed by each client via Status→Real Time Data→Connections There you can see the consumption per client. This is the only report we can offer.

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

You can also enable traffic logging to a pcap file. 

If it is not already installed, in the WebUI navigate to Services -> Package manager and install tcpdump. Once done, go to System -> Administration -> Troubleshoot and set Enable TCP dump option to on. Select the interface to monitor, set other options to suit your needs or leave defaults and save the settings. Leave the device for some time, then you will be able to download a packet capture file for analysis.

Best regards,

by anonymous
I've tried to upload the tcpdump package but it seems to be not compatible with my RUTX11. Are there other options? I realize I can also enable the traffic log feature and process that in eg Excel - but that's more work.