FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
+1 vote
418 views 9 comments
by anonymous

Hello,
I'm trying to set RUT955 to support IPv6 on the mobile network. I have updated to the latest firmware RUT9_R_00.07.02.4.

In the INTERFACES/MOB1S1A1 settings I changed the PDP type to IPv6. Then I have obtained an IPv6 address from the mobile network, but the internet access is not working. Although the STATUS/OVERVIEW tab shows DATA CONNECTION: Connected.
I tried to ping on 8.8.8 from the router’s WebUI with response "Network unreachable".

When I change the PDP to IPv4/IPv6, the internet works, I get both addresses, but according to test sites (e.g. ipv6-test.com) I don't have public IPv6.

The easiest explanation is that my mobile netwok operator doesn't support IPv6. However when I put the SIM in my Android phone and manually set IPv6, the internet works normally and I have public IPv6.

I've tried lot of things, any suggestions?
Thank you

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous
Hello,

Could you try to ping 2a00:1288:110:c305::6001 from the router ? From another device in the lan ?

What are the results in both cases ? The errors if any ?

Regards,
by anonymous

Hello,
you're right, IPv6 ping from router's WebUI works. IPv4 ping not. No connected device can ping IPv6 or IPv4.
Maybe IPv4 to IPv6 translation problem?

Here are pictures of situation explained. Click to enlarge. I reset the router to factory settings for better investigation.
IPv4:

IPv4/IPv6:

IPv6:

Same SIM in Android phone:

by anonymous

From the router itself the IPv6 config looks fine. Please check this comment first it probably applies to your case as well IPv6 addresses and routes aren't distributed to the lan devices.

by anonymous
You're right, that's how it really works. Not all websites work, but that will be more of a problem on the Windows side I guess.
Thanks for support.

Btw. it still didn't solve my problem, my mobile network provider also changes the IPv6 address in ISP. So I have no chance to access the router from the outside :(
by anonymous

changes the IPv6 address in ISP. So I have no chance to access the router from the outside

You may try to put the router in a dyndns. However that will bring very little if the ISP blocks the ports. Us a VPN instead, Zerotier will do there are others.

by anonymous
Using dyndns was an idea from the beginning. However, I found out that none of the IPv4 is public resp. accessible from the outside. Neither the one assigned to the router (WAN) nor the internet one according to whatismyip.com (they differ). The provider seems to be using NAT with IP sharing.

I was hoping it would be different with IPv6. It isn't. Again, the WAN and internet IPs v6 differ. And again none of them are externally accessible for ICMP or any port.

I found out that my mobile network operator even charges for public IPv6.

So no choice but to pay or use some "cloud" VPN. And for my own webserver etc. I may have forgotten.
by anonymous

From this picture the router has a 2a00:... ipv6 address on mob1s1a1 this one is public you can put it in a dyndns and have updates when it changes (works on no-ip.com at least). Unfortunately that doesn't mean that the ports are open at the ISP side.

From the same picture the ipv4 address is in 100.64.0.0/10 this is the default CGNAT network and it isn't routable.

Again, the WAN and internet IPs v6 differ.

May I see the differences ? Are you sure that they don't have the same prefix ? Could you post the output of "ifconfig wwan0" on a ssh console ?

by anonymous

Hello,
you were right, indeed the first 128 bits of the address are the same, so the address is public. The different address came from a PC connected to the router. I didn't realize it is different in the IPv6 world. When I directly viewed the same "whatismyip" page in the SSH console via wget, it returned exactly the same one assigned by the router.

However, the address is unavailable for PING, both from the internet and even from the PC connected to the router. Can't get to any port, nothing. Destination host unreachable. Any ideas?

by anonymous

It would be useful to have the output of "ifconfig wwan0" or "ip -6 addr" on the router to see the prefix size.

Destination host unreachable. Any ideas?

Your ISP blocks incoming traffic on IPv6. Maybe you can ask them for a static address with open ports, or use Zerotier or equivalent. 

by anonymous
I'm out of device right now, but I know the prefix is /64