FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
545 views 2 comments
by anonymous

I have an RUT240 configured on a site and need to forward port 80 to our windows server and port 81 to different device on the internal network. I have set port forwarding rules for port 80 as per below. However when trying to access the server remotely it is not working. I have used a port scanning website and it reports that port 80 and 81 are both closed. The router is running on a 4G SIM with a Dynamic IP. I have set up a dynamic dns account and the router is updating the dyndns registry no problem.

Is there another setting I need to change in the router to allow port forwarding of these 2 ports?

3 Answers

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

Thank you for your question

There a few factors to consider as to why you can't successfully access devices that are port forwarded:

• Firstly, can you access your Windows server via port 80 and that IP address (when connected to the router's internal network)?
  • Also, do both of the devices that are connected to the router have static IPs?
  • Secondly, can you access RUT240 via port 80 when connecting using DDNS? (You may need to enable remote HTTP access to test this)
  • Additionally, we always recommend our customers update their devices to the latest firmware as it may fix the issue.
  • If these 2 tests are successful, could you please send me a backup or a troubleshoot file, so I could replicate this issue.

If you have any questions regarding this, feel free to ask.

Sincerely, Justas.

by anonymous

Thanks for the tips. I've gone throught this list. 

• Firstly, can you access your Windows server via port 80 and that IP address (when connected to the router's internal network)? Yes. Can connect to the server on the internal network no problem.
  • Also, do both of the devices that are connected to the router have static IPs? One has a static IP directly connected in the device. The 2nd has a static IP via DHCP reservation.
  • Secondly, can you access RUT240 via port 80 when connecting using DDNS? (You may need to enable remote HTTP access to test this) I set this up and was unable to access remotely using HTTP via port 80.
  • Additionally, we always recommend our customers update their devices to the latest firmware as it may fix the issue. Firmware updated to the latest. RUT2_R_00.07.02.7
  • If these 2 tests are successful, could you please send me a backup or a troubleshoot file, so I could replicate this issue. Have attached a backup file to the original post.

A new issue I noted, when I use a web browser to check my public IP it returns a value. That is the same value that the router is updating to the dynamic DNS provider. However when I look on the Status Overview page the MOB1S1A1 section is repoting an IP address that does not match. Have tried connecting to both IP addresses to no luck.

I also connected the router to the Teltonika RMS and was able to access using the Device Web UI function on the RMS page.

I was using this same SIM in the router I was previously using on site and it was working fine with port forwarding so I doon't believe the SIM is the problem.

0 votes
by anonymous
I suspect that mobile configuration could be the reason why you can't access device via port 80 and therefore, can not port forward to your Windows Server. I see the firewall configuration is correct. However, I'd like to ask you to download troubleshoot file, as it contains more real-time status of the device, and forward it to me via Private Message.
by anonymous
Thank you, I've just pm'd you the troubleshoot file.
0 votes
by anonymous

After looking at your device's logs, I see that SIM card has Private IP, which means, your device won't be reachable from outside. You, may need to change your APN, to use Public IP, or contact the operator and ask them to provide you a SIM with Public IP, or ask them to port forward to your IP. Moments at which Dynamic DNS was changing IPs to your hostname, could be because of the operator's NAT, however, reachability stops there, and the router could not be accessed.

More about Public vs Private IP:

https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/difference-between-private-and-public-ip-addresses/